Precision manufacturing in Argentina

There is no comparison between Argentina and Taiwan. Taiwan is an industrial powerhouse.
The number one chip fab country for higher end chips, a huge manufacturer of cnc machinery, home to dozens of top grade foundries, and special manufacturers of all kinds of other high tech stuff.
The manufacturing base in Argentina is still decent, with steel mills, auto manufacturing, and existing manufacturing in a variety of industries. But not comparable to Taiwan.

There is no comparison between Argentina and Taiwan. Taiwan is an industrial powerhouse.
The number one chip fab country for higher end chips, a huge manufacturer of cnc machinery, home to dozens of top grade foundries, and special manufacturers of all kinds of other high tech stuff.
The manufacturing base in Argentina is still decent, with steel mills, auto manufacturing, and existing manufacturing in a variety of industries. But not comparable to Taiwan.
I'm a permanent resident of Taiwan and own a small factory there (I'm currently in Japan on business). The problem is China. Once it invades the party's over in Taiwan and it will be time to move on.

If I were you, I would look into moving to Brazil instead of Argentina. These are my reasons:
A) Brazil is the most tecnologically advanced country in L A.
B) Their currency is very stable (with 1 0/00 deflation last year)
C) They welcome foreign investors, in general
D) Some Arg corporations have moved to Brazil, (like Alpargatas), tired of the local economy and politics
E) The inflation here will run around 100 o/oo this year, highest in the world.
F) Enterprenours are considered cuasi-criminal here, blamed for all the evils of this country.
G) Arg has some ot the highest import tax duties of the world, plus nightmirish bureucratic obstacles for importing anything.
H) There are few qualified toolmakers, machinist, etc. They dissapeared in the 90's when most American companies moved out
of the country.
Finally, if you decide to come here anyway, bring a large bag with tranquilizing pills, you will need them.

If I were you, I would look into moving to Brazil instead of Argentina. These are my reasons:
D) Some Arg corporations have moved to Brazil, (like Alpargatas), tired of the local economy and politics
F) Enterprenours are considered cuasi-criminal here, blamed for all the evils of this country.
G) Arg has some ot the highest import tax duties of the world, plus nightmirish bureucratic obstacles for importing anything.
H) There are few qualified toolmakers, machinist, etc. They dissapeared in the 90's when most American companies moved out
of the country.
Finally, if you decide to come here anyway, bring a large bag with traquilizing pills, you will need them.

of the country.
Finally, if you decide to come here anyway, bring a large bag with tranquilizing pills, you will need them.
Thanks for the excellent advice. I'm going to look in that direction.

Thanks for the excellent advice. I'm going to look in that direction.
I spent a year in Brazil while my company attempted to arrange a work visa for me. They weren’t able to do it. I remember that importing equipment (this is a major telecoms operator I’m talking about) was also a big problem, potentially taking months to get it after arrival at Santos port. I wouldn’t underestimate the difficulty of doing business in Brazil.

I do agree that doing business in LA is a tough endeavor. It would be easier, I think, if you could sell all those assets in Taiwan and then
creating a local corp or business there, promising a substantial investment and new jobs, etc. Then you would buy an existing plant, add new machinery,etc.
If I may add, you should look in other places like Israel and Mexico. Personaly, I think that yours fears of a chinese takeover of Taiwan are
unfounded. Taiwan is not isolated like Ucraine, and has a military alliance with the USA (wich Ucraine did not). Any attack by the Red Army
will lead automatically to a nuclear war, since tha USA can not defeat China in a conventional war. By the way, I was a tool maker, tool designer,
tool engineer, and NC programmer, and lived in the USA for 26 years.

I do agree that doing business in LA is a tough endeavor. It would be easier, I think, if you could sell all those assets in Taiwan and then
creating a local corp or business there, promising a substantial investment and new jobs, etc. Then you would buy an existing plant, add new machinery,etc.
If I may add, you should look in other places like Israel and Mexico. Personaly, I think that yours fears of a chinese takeover of Taiwan are
unfounded. Taiwan is not isolated like Ucraine, and has a military alliance with the USA (wich Ucraine did not). Any attack by the Red Army
will lead automatically to a nuclear war, since tha USA can not defeat China in a conventional war. By the way, I was a tool maker, tool designer,
tool engineer, and NC programmer, and lived in the USA for 26 years.
I've done business in China for years and speak Mandarin Chinese. I'm also a permanent resident of Taiwan. China isn't going to let up until it takes control of Taiwan. It's just a matter of time. The U.S. doesn't have a military alliance with Taiwan. It has the Taiwan Relations Act (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan_Relations_Act) which established a One China policy and doesn't commit the U.S. to defend Taiwan militarily, only to support it with arms and other assistance. The U.S. no longer recognizes Taiwan as a country and its only representation in Taiwan is the American Institute in Taiwan, which provides services to U.S. citizens living in Taiwan.

I was a toolmaker myself in the U.S. but went on to get my mechanical engineering degree. Currently build lots of injection molds and diecasting dies in Taiwan (since 1998) as well as run parts.

Yes, you are right, but I think that if Peking tries it anyway, it will get a mouthfull of plutonium, since it is almost for sure that they developed Atomic weapons long ago (in cooperation with Israel).
But I agree that even in that case, it will not be a healthy place to be living, wars is the worst possible scenario for anybody, anyplace.
I admire your ability with oriental languages, they are not easy to learn, I guess.

Regarding getting legal residence in Brazil (or anyplace in LA), the easiest way is to hire a local immigration lawyer.
That, plus a bit of extra "oiling" money will get you anything here. Trying to do legally is nightmirish even for us Argentines,
despite the fact that we are Brazil largest customer and a friendly neighbor

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rich One Expat Life 4
Back