Prescription

Davidkiwi

Registered
Hi

I got a prescription here in BA and they didn't keep the prescription slip, not sure they put any details in their computer either. Can I go to another pharmacy and re-use this prescription so I don't have to re-visit the doctor for another one in the future?

Cheers

Sam

That sounds about right, you can hit a couple pharmacies the same day if you wanna build up your meds stock, or to put away in your travel kit, or....... but nono that would be ilegal :p

I walk in and out of pharmacies all the time with and without prescription slips and get prescription meds here. So different from the US. so far there are only two meds that I have had to have actual prescriptions for, antibiotic eye drops and narcotic pain meds.

Hi

I got a prescription here in BA and they didn't keep the prescription slip, not sure they put any details in their computer either. Can I go to another pharmacy and re-use this prescription so I don't have to re-visit the doctor for another one in the future?

Cheers

Sam

A pharmacy retains a prescription ONLY when you are affiliated with a health plan. You have to add your signature and data on the back. Then it's forwarded to your health provider.

A prescription order without any health plan can be reused.

Mainly, the pharmacy keeps the prescription if you are buying sleeping pills or psicotropics, some pharmacies antibiotics and other specific medications too. Also, as mentioned by jantango if you buy through a health insurance (obra social o prepaga) which pays a percentage, but not sure that this answers your question.

Generally speaking a medical prescription is valid for 30 days, and has to be issued by a medical doctor licensed in Argentina.

You don't really need a prescription for many drugs here. Try taking the packet from the drug you want into a neighbourhood farmacia and just ask for a repeat. Not farmacity or the big chains though - they are more likely to ask for a prescription.

Farmacia Azul usually has a good stock of meds and have never been asked for a script.

I purchased some broad spectrum antibiotics without any prescription in Farmacity - this is very different from the US and arguably much more convenient if you know exactly what you need

Unless what you want is narcotic painkillers in which case just suffer but please enjoy these SSRIs and Benzos like candy. Its not perfect

Back