President Milei Slows Inflation to 2021 Levels in Major Win for Argentine People

NeoWonk

Registered
(Bloomberg) -- Argentina’s monthly inflation reached the lowest level since late 2021, scoring a significant win for President Javier Milei as he makes lowering price spirals the centerpiece of his administration.

It's like someone was stabbed in the stomach, bled all night, and now that the bleeding has stopped. So, he must be doing much better. What a major win!
If he's still breathing? Who cares!
It's more like someone who's addicted to heroin (inflation) and has a pusher who keeps raising the dose (Alberto/CFK) who is finally saved by a responsible doctor (you know who) and weans the patient back to health. It's a little naive to expect that the withdrawal is going to be painless.

So even though things have doubled in priceunder his reign, we are supposed to applaud that the prices in the future will go up at a slightly slower rate? The 73% of the population who live on 500,000 pesos or less per month are no doubt overcome with happiness.

I'm an illustrator, not an economist, so forgive me for my visual thinking. Someone posted a picture of the post-pandemic 'inflation bump', and it's not so different proportionally from Europe and the USA; it just occurred later (and at a different scale, because, Argentina). The inflation was already cooling in the rest of the world during the election here last year, and I remember remarking that whoever wins the election (Massa or Milei) would take credit for 'fixing inflation', which would likely cycle through as it did in the rest of the world. I'm surprised I never see these graphs presented side by side.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-14 at 9.44.31 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-14 at 9.44.31 AM.png
    167.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2024-10-14 at 9.44.46 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-14 at 9.44.46 AM.png
    112 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2024-10-14 at 9.45.53 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-14 at 9.45.53 AM.png
    165.1 KB · Views: 7
Back