Prices Online Vs Irl

MorganF

Registered
Random and unimportant question, everyone!

I went to buy a new garbage pail. I found one in ML, for 1400 pesos, and they said it can be picked up at a sucursal a few blocks from my house. So I decided to walk over and see it in person, before buying. I did and in the store, it was listed as 2400 pesos! I didn't want to say anything (lest it was a bug I could take advantage of!) so I bought it online, returned to the store, picked it up, and no problem. I'm now enjoying the simpler things in life, like a new garbage pail :)

BUT this left me wondering: what is up with the HUGE price difference for the same product from the same store, online (particularly ML) vs in the store itself?

Asking around, this seems to be VERY common. But none of my argie friends have a good explanation as to why.

Note I would predict there would be a difference -- but I would have predicted in which 5-10% range. But I was a magnitude of order off in my guess!

Any ideas? :)

Morgan

My guess is: who walks in does less shopping around than those shopping online, where there is much more competition. If you walk in asking for a price you are actively looking for an item and are likely to buy it, no matter the price.

The real truth: things are randomly priced here and nobody cares.

My guess is: who walks in does less shopping around than those shopping online, where there is much more competition. If you walk in asking for a price you are actively looking for an item and are likely to buy it, no matter the price.

The real truth: things are randomly priced here and nobody cares.
I got a mattress for 11,000 from mercadolibre - was listed for 16,000 on their official webpage and in store. Welcome to Argentina where nothing makes sense.

This variation in prices are very common, I have seen that the same product sold by the same company on ML is sometimes more expensive than in store, other times cheaper. Supermarkets have different prices online/offline ( Coto for example ). There doesn't seem to be a logic behind that, but there might be.

Businesses dont offer "Money back guarantee - No questions asked" or occasional free giveaways. If the businesses practiced this more, they will do much better.

Businesses practices are surprising, to say the least, here. Consumer rights are in the dark ages.

My husband had the experience recently of seeing an item online at a certain price, getting to the store, and being told the price had changed and the website hadn't been updated. Could be true enough, inflation is crazy, but one often gets the feeling they give you a price based on your face and the car you drive up in.

The reason why is simple... getting the most they can with the least amount of work. Ever tried calling someone to do some work? It's like pulling teeth to get them to return a phone call or give you the time of day. I am convinced most businesses run on the principle of selling very few items at the highest price possible...

I solved this mystery long time ago: .... the reason isssss (drums pls):
drmdrmdrmdrm ..... they are brand new country with brand new brains (that never been used before).

Years ago I was in a verdularia, ... saw olives that I liked. ... Price sign says: $10 per ¼. K.
Fair enough .... give me a whole (sealed) garrafa of 5 k ... and here is your $200.
The guy turned on a dime ... lost his marbles and went bazurk to the extent to insult me ... he wanted $250 for the garrafa or only individual ¼ `s at $10 each.

OR the time in another verdularia I was still a rookie and did not understand a spanish sign on top of zucchini to the effect "don`t touch" ....
the rest ... you can guess !!!!!

Weirdos? ... lunatics? ... eccentric? Etc etc ...... but lovely nice people !

It`s in everything they do, ... the way they drive, their food, business, .... but who cares .... they are lovely nice people !

WineGuy999,

Please re-read the original message and the thread. The question isn't about the prices being different -- but about the MAGNITUDE of difference, between online vs offline. 5% vs 70%

WineGuy, I will bet you a beer (or wine?) at a bar of your choice in BA that Target USA does not have any differences of 70% in any product at all between its online store and physical store. (A special promotion or special sale excluded of course.)

Morgan

Back