Prices to USA

JG

Registered
I was shocked at the high prices back to E. coast USA! last year i paid $750 after shopping around. this year, ive called, looked online and visited the airline offices. ive just about run out of options and the prices are hovering around $1,100 to $1,400 to go BA to a mid-atlantic destination. Even miami is high!
Delta is 1,325 to Washington DC area. they do not allow you to search fares online from SA. United (which no longer has an office here open to the public) is $1,200 so far. AA is over 1,000 as well!
Have the rest of you found high prices to go back to USA? for those of you who have been here a while like me, you must be shocked too! if anyone has any suggestions i will try it and then post whether it worked or not.

Prices are up at least two hundred dollars from, say, six months ago. Fuel prices are up. A rough calculation on the back of an envelope convinces me the airlines aren't making much money on the deal -- even with full flights.
At this rate, we may soon have to do what Paul Theroux did three decades ago: take a combination of buses and trains.

JG - the best deal I found when I booked a couple of months ago was with Continental -- flight up was good, half full, lots of leg room. Getting 14,000 miles for the trip BA - Vancouver | Montreal - BA. Sorting out my Vancouver - Mtl leg in Canada.

I read about a guy who boxed himself up in a crate and then shipped himself across the U.S. I don't know if that is a cheaper way to go, but you might make the news.
but seriously... what I do is use an online booking site like Expedia and keep checking different dates and even different airports. I think the cheapest day to travel is on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Then I search other travel websites as well and compare the results.
I agree that not only are the flights getting more expensive, you also have to pay airport improvement fees at many major airports. What I'd like to see is a super sonic direct jet flight from BsAs to major cities in the US for say, 500 dollars.
It would be nice to take a train all the way through South America but the only line I found was in Bolvia from Uyuni to the Argentine border. Not like Europe where you can go almost anywhere on the trains.

"Bill" said:
I agree that not only are the flights getting more expensive, you also have to pay airport improvement fees at many major airports.
I think flying is going to become more expensive -- I subscribe to the "peak oil hypothesis." In years to come, we shall probably wax nostalgic about the era when air fares were within reach. En passant, this shall no doubt have an adverse effect on tourism.

Well, im reporting back. I am not able to find anything cheaper than around $1,100 back home (baltimore). Washington, d.c. was the same price. I found NYC and miami were very close to 1,000 as well. I found both Expedia and Travelocity useful. i didnt get anything cheaper, but it really guided me, even showing the seats available on the particular plane. I found no arg. travel agencies or their websites any use at all, in fact the prices were on the high side. I wouldnt even bother with them, stick to the usa sites. As the market is unstable, this whole picture could change in a few months, but for anyone with plans to visit USA in the summer, it looks like its going to be expensive. If i had to earn this extra money teaching English here (about $400 more than last year) that would come out to a lot of teaching hours to pay for price jump. The cost of living in Argentina is soaring, and now, so is the price of leaving. FYI.

I´m going to New York in two weeks and paying $900. The flight´s with TACA and stops at Lima and San Salvador on the way there, and San José on the way back. It´s quite time consuming and with all the stop-overs there´s a good chance things could go wrong, luggage go AWOL, etc. but at least it´s cheap and I get a weekend in Costa Rica for free..

"JJ" said:
I´m going to New York in two weeks and paying $900. The flight´s with TACA and stops at Lima and San Salvador on the way there, and San José on the way back. It´s quite time consuming and with all the stop-overs there´s a good chance things could go wrong, luggage go AWOL, etc. but at least it´s cheap and I get a weekend in Costa Rica for free..
how did you book your taca flight? (the website's terrible.) $900 seems particularly inexpensive - which days of the week are you flying?

Yeah, the website´s no good. Went in person to TACA´s office in BA. It´s v central on Carlos Pellegrini, not far from Santa Fe. I´m flying out on a Monday and returning on a Wednesday. My flights are at awful times of day, though, departing Ezeiza at 6.30am and returning at 4am. Booked the tickets quite late and I think they were actually available at a lower price if I´d booked earlier.

Don´t travel much to the States but checked on despegar.com for tickets to another destination and found there were tickets to NY for $569 plus taxes ($253)
Miami $369 plust taxes... don´t know what the catch is but they are supposed to be a well know company - they may specialize in last minute deals...
Anyway just in case, the link to the site
http://www.despegar.com.ar/homes/viajes.html

Back