Programmer Salary Question

natsabari

Registered
Hi All,

Am new to this forum. Am from india and i have an offer from my company to work from buenos aires for one year.
Its an outsourcing MNC and the offer is 18K ARS per month. I have 8 years of experience in Enterprise application development. I don't know the salary they have offered is enough to live and save some.
The office is located in moreno in BA province. I don't know this salary is sufficient to have good living in BA.
How much i could save out of this? Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Sabari

The problem with Argentina is the inflation. We could tell you this is enough to live recently on your own in Buenos Aires, and by the time you come here these money will allow for a basic lifestyle.
Also, consider saving money to send home out of questions if you are paid in pesos.

You should arrange a flexible salary with your company, for example some paid abroad and some locally, or with raises every 3-6 months.

Given your years of experience, it seems rather low. That number is in the range for some entry level positions at MercadoLibre IT. Perhaps there are other things that come with this relocation such as housing, car, schooling provided? If not, it seems like a well-below market offer. Feel free to PM me for some more specific advice. You can also get your CV/LinkedIN ready if you'd like ;-)

It might have been an alright salary a year ago, I believe, but by now, not at all. Still, you're making much more than any local college grad getting a job with even a multinational firm (or so locals have told me). But for someone coming from abroad, I do not think it is an appropriate salary at this moment. Not anymore.

Also, make sure make sure make sure you have inflation adjustments in your contract, every 3 - 6 months. I made the mistake of not having it in contract so I have a very good adjustment, but only once a year. Not ideal.

Also, keep in mind about 25% will be deducted for taxes, pensions, etc. Try to have something flexible as someone pointed out, where some is paid abroad and some locally. Or part of it paid by contract and another part paid out of contract (so the 25% is not deducted).

Start looking at apartments now. Keep in mind you will only have the option of doing a temporary rental, which is typically more expensive than what argentines who live here pay. Then calculate based on that.

My boss told me that I could get a good apartment in Argentina for 3,000 pesos. He lied blatantly. Make sure they are knowledgeable about Argentina and its situation, and honest with you. Never relocate with a company you don't trust. They use the "Latin America" thing to make very convenient downward salary adjustments. Between living here and in the US, I honestly think my life is more expensive here overall...

Hi Sabari,

If you are a bachelor you can save and enjoy life in BSAS. Other case it's not worth to stay here.

Thanks,
Nico

Being an Indian living here and being aware of economic situation in India as well, I would just say if you "want" you can save here also, and easily more than what you would in India. But as is with most IT companies, if you are looking for comparison with US counterparts, that's unfair :p (Buenos Aires has it's own plus points and a different life style and different work culture)

Being an Indian living here and being aware of economic situation in India as well, I would just say if you "want" you can save here also, and easily more than what you would in India. But as is with most IT companies, if you are looking for comparison with US counterparts, that's unfair :p (Buenos Aires has it's own plus points and a different life style and different work culture)

I'm curious about work culture here. For programming, web developer type positions - are there any general things you would say are different between say here and the US? Does it tend to be a relaxed 9-5 environment, or more overloaded with high performance expectations, unpaid overtime, etc?

Being from India too and working here in BA, if you say you have 8 years of work ex in IT, then yes definitely 18k is very less which your company has offered you. Also, is 18K in Hand or on paper? And I am not sure about Moreno province, and what all amenities you would have there but try to check if you already have people from your company there and you could consult with them. Also your decision would depend if you coming alone or with your family (just in case).

But to give you a fair idea, 18k should be good enough for you to live here and save a little (which then converted to INR, would be good enough). And if you room/flat share, you could save decent enough. Do remember 1500 USD is maximum you can transfer "officially" from Argentina to India as of today.

I'm curious about work culture here. For programming, web developer type positions - are there any general things you would say are different between say here and the US? Does it tend to be a relaxed 9-5 environment, or more overloaded with high performance expectations, unpaid overtime, etc?

I haven't worked in US, from hearsay and how my work is here, it is relaxed environment. But again, it is all dependent on type of project you are in. I firmly believe in that the experience you have in IT industry is because of your project client and the person you are directly reporting. If they are haphazard, whichever place you might be in, it's going to be tough and in opposite, you are going to like the work.

High Performance Expectation : -- who doesn't have that ???? :D

Back