Programmer Salary Question

EricLovesBA - it really depends where you work. There are a LOT of mediocre medium-sized software factories here and they don't work you to the bone, but they also don't pay all that great either. I think on average you're looking at a more relaxed, 9 - 6* environment than the US, but again, like Vyom says, if you have a horrible boss (of which there seem to be many...the whole management-training culture hasn't really taken root here), then you're in for a bumpy ride. Like everything here, it runs the gamut.

* 9-hour workdays are the standard -- lunch is unpaid!

The salary is on the low side for someone with your experience. Are you going to live out this way? Moreno is um... interesting. There are some nice parts but there are also quite a few less than nice parts. Are they going to find you an apt? Furnished? OR are you commuting out here?

(Ha, I never responded to the OP!)

OP: As others have said, you need to find out if 18,000 a month is after deductions or before. If it's before, you can expect 20% monthly (~3500) to be taken out for union fees, retirement and healthcare, along with another ~7% (~$1200) a month in personal income tax (impuesto a ganancias), for a grand take-home total of $13,300. That is a salary where you would be getting by great as long as your housing is covered by the company. Otherwise it's a salary on par with a junior developer and while still enough to live on, it wouldn't let you be as relaxed in your day to day spending.

However, net 18K would be an okay-to-good starting salary for a local senior developer or sys admin at a mediocre, medium-sized firm. 20K would be a bit more competitive. And 18K net would actually be ~$16K a month after the personal income tax deduction. If you can get locally-priced housing (i.e. not a fancy furnished place at tourist prices), it's plenty to live in a nice neighbourhood and enjoy some modest luxuries (eating out a few times a week at normal restaurants, taking a taxi once in a while, buy souvenirs) and save around 450 USD a month.

Hi All,

Am new to this forum. Am from india and i have an offer from my company to work from buenos aires for one year.
Its an outsourcing MNC and the offer is 18K ARS per month. I have 8 years of experience in Enterprise application development. I don't know the salary they have offered is enough to live and save some.
The office is located in moreno in BA province. I don't know this salary is sufficient to have good living in BA.
How much i could save out of this? Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Sabari
If you can say how much you're making right now and where, that would help to assess your question better. Me personally, I think it would be very difficult to save something on that salary even if you don't have a family to support (and it would be impossible if you had one). And btw, research about Moreno: me personally I wouldn't want neither to live there nor to commute to there.

If you can say how much you're making right now and where, that would help to assess your question better. Me personally, I think it would be very difficult to save something on that salary even if you don't have a family to support (and it would be impossible if you had one). And btw, research about Moreno: me personally I wouldn't want neither to live there nor to commute to there.
I dont agree that if he gets 18k in hand he cant save. If he is coming alone, he can easily flat share, and can save plenty. And coming from India, we need to know that he is not thinking is USD but INR. And 1ARS = 7.10 INR.

Being from India too and working here in BA, if you say you have 8 years of work ex in IT, then yes definitely 18k is very less which your company has offered you. Also, is 18K in Hand or on paper? And I am not sure about Moreno province, and what all amenities you would have there but try to check if you already have people from your company there and you could consult with them. Also your decision would depend if you coming alone or with your family (just in case).

But to give you a fair idea, 18k should be good enough for you to live here and save a little (which then converted to INR, would be good enough). And if you room/flat share, you could save decent enough. Do remember 1500 USD is maximum you can transfer "officially" from Argentina to India as of today.

This 18K is on paper/ pre tax amount . The company is in BA only; Moreno is a street in BA i believe. Thanks for your help.

The salary is on the low side for someone with your experience. Are you going to live out this way? Moreno is um... interesting. There are some nice parts but there are also quite a few less than nice parts. Are they going to find you an apt? Furnished? OR are you commuting out here?

No housing included in this package :-(

(Ha, I never responded to the OP!)

OP: As others have said, you need to find out if 18,000 a month is after deductions or before. If it's before, you can expect 20% monthly (~3500) to be taken out for union fees, retirement and healthcare, along with another ~7% (~$1200) a month in personal income tax (impuesto a ganancias), for a grand take-home total of $13,300. That is a salary where you would be getting by great as long as your housing is covered by the company. Otherwise it's a salary on par with a junior developer and while still enough to live on, it wouldn't let you be as relaxed in your day to day spending.

However, net 18K would be an okay-to-good starting salary for a local senior developer or sys admin at a mediocre, medium-sized firm. 20K would be a bit more competitive. And 18K net would actually be ~$16K a month after the personal income tax deduction. If you can get locally-priced housing (i.e. not a fancy furnished place at tourist prices), it's plenty to live in a nice neighbourhood and enjoy some modest luxuries (eating out a few times a week at normal restaurants, taking a taxi once in a while, buy souvenirs) and save around 450 USD a month.

Thanks for the detailed break up. This 18K is pre tax, so with 13K i think it would be tough. Currently am saving equivalent of 800USD in india. Hence with 13K after my expenses to save more than 800USD seems not practical.

Thanks for the detailed break up. This 18K is pre tax, so with 13K i think it would be tough. Currently am saving equivalent of 800USD in india. Hence with 13K after my expenses to save more than 800USD seems not practical.

I think you could still live on 13k ARS in BsAs, maybe even alone. But you won't be saving 800 USD per month, that's sure. If you want to come for the experience and to try something new, okay. But if you'd come for the money or the career shift, forget it.

I think you could still live on 13k ARS in BsAs, maybe even alone. But you won't be saving 800 USD per month, that's sure. If you want to come for the experience and to try something new, okay. But if you'd come for the money or the career shift, forget it.
Tell your boss to send you to Sillicon Valley instead, the pay is way better there.( presuming than Bs As ) I know many IT savvy Indians living the good ol US life living in Fremont and driving nice Camry/Accords ! Plus many Tandoori chicken places there. Also the McDonalds refrain from using any beef related food stuff, they all cooking the kosher Chickens !

Back