Proposing to an Argentine woman --- Marriage :0

Z401409

Registered
Hi All,

I've been here for a while now and am strongly considering proposing to my Argie girlfriend. :rolleyes: I would like to ask her exactly how it is done here but I want to keep some element of surprise. Can you provide details??

:confused:-Do the men get down on one knee?
:confused:-Should you ask her what kind of ring she wants, or is a gold band a given?
:confused:-Should I get permission from her father?

We've already been living together and discussed the important things (how many kids, where to live, finances, etc). Just looking for specific answers on proposals (and K1 Fiancee visas if you have any experiences or advice).

Signed,

Your secret account user (we share computers)

Congratulations :)

1) Do what feels right. I don't think there is a wrong way to do it, whether it's on one knee or sitting at a table together or whatever.

2) I think the gold band is traditional (and diamond at the wedding) but again - you know your SO better than anyone as to what she would like.

3) Prob best to avoid calling it "asking permission" - ;) - but letting your future f-i-l know in advance as a gesture of respect sounds (to me) like a lovely gesture. But again, I would be sensitive to your GF and her relationship with her father (ie, if she isn't close with him)

Z401409 said:
Hi All,

I've been here for a while now and am strongly considering proposing to my Argie girlfriend. :rolleyes: I would like to ask her exactly how it is done here but I want to keep some element of surprise. Can you provide details??

:confused:-Do the men get down on one knee?
:confused:-Should you ask her what kind of ring she wants, or is a gold band a given?
:confused:-Should I get permission from her father?

We've already been living together and discussed the important things (how many kids, where to live, finances, etc). Just looking for specific answers on proposals (and K1 Fiancee visas if you have any experiences or advice).

Signed,

Your secret account user (we share computers)

I JUST yesterday spoke with an immigration layer in the U.S. about the K-1 Visa. Unfortunately, it is not an "easy" process and will take around 8-12 months to complete.

I asked about getting married first and then applying an that process takes even longer.

Still, has to be done of course but just prepare for a wait. Also, you will need to have every conceivable document available and copied. Birth certificates, work history, pay stubs, tax returns, address verification, background check, etc etc etc

I'd be interested if there is anyone else on the board that is from the U.S. that married an Argentine and what steps they took to get their wife/husband a Green Card.

I did it all, but a long time ago, in 1983. I had known her for over a year. We discussed it, but no getting down on one knee. After the discussion I spoke with her parents. She was single and over 30, but still thought this was a good idea. Only a month later we were married in a civil ceremony, a few days later in a chruch with a reception at Club Aleman piso 23. My wife sold her Renault to pay for it all, and did a good job getting it all ready in a month's time. It was very nice. We got our photo made the back page of the Buenos Aires Hearld (we invited the photographer). A week later we went to the U.S. Embassy with our documents, mariage certificate, etc. and spoke with a consul. About two or three weeks later we were called back to pick up her resident visa for the United States. We entered the U.S. in Miami (PanAm business class) and she presented the envelope to the Immigration Officer, who opened the sealed visa envelope, and said "welcome to the United States". I think the green card was in the envelope. After we settled in to my apartment in Houston, we went to the Social Security office where they gave her a card. She had to take a driver's test to get her license. I am sorry to hear that things are so much slower now. I was willing and able to stay in Buenos Aires, but with hyper-inflation her income had taken a big hit, and she could earn a lot more working in the U.S.

I am not Argentinean but I am Panamanian and Latinas love the romantic/formal ways of how a man proposes...

I suggest you mention it to her parents like Citygirl suggested and just prepare a romantic dinner or whatever you have in mind and propose to her. Getting down in one knee is super romantic. My husband did that and I was blown away because i think its rare nowadays. this whole romantic courtship has vanished through the years but you can keep it alive this way. she will remember it for the rest of her life.

and as for an engagement ring, well, you gotta see what your lady likes......thats a personal opinion, i believe.

Come on, no scenario at all, be sincere, be yourself, and do whatever crosses your mind when the idea proposing her suddenly becomes unbearable!

Napoleon said:
I kind of feel like proposing to a latina after this, but I don't have one at the moment.

Maybe I'll start looking tonight after dinner.

You need an island girl.

Perhaps one from Elba or St. Helena.

Bon chance!

Back