Proposing to an Argentine woman --- Marriage :0

Z401409 said:
Hi All,

I've been here for a while now and am strongly considering proposing to my Argie girlfriend. :rolleyes: I would like to ask her exactly how it is done here but I want to keep some element of surprise. Can you provide details??

:confused:-Do the men get down on one knee?
:confused:-Should you ask her what kind of ring she wants, or is a gold band a given?
:confused:-Should I get permission from her father?

We've already been living together and discussed the important things (how many kids, where to live, finances, etc). Just looking for specific answers on proposals (and K1 Fiancee visas if you have any experiences or advice).

Signed,

Your secret account user (we share computers)

Hi! First of all: congratulations!
I didn't read the other comments but I'll answer you based on the people that I know (I'm from here).

1) Proposals here almost don't exist. Men don't get on one knee, nor talk about it with the girl's father. You just talk about it and you decide the date and that's when you decide that you're "engaged". Which leads me to...
2) There's no such thing as an "engagement ring". Some couples decide to wear gold bands (both of them) on their right ring finger. Then, when they marry, you just wear new gold bands (on your left finger) and save the other ones.
3)The K1 visa is long but not difficult. It takes about 7 months. It almost never takes a year. The other option is marrying in Argentina and applying for a K3 visa (not so different)

Last but not least: these is how most people do it. That doesn't mean you can't do it your way. You know whether or not she'd like to be proposed to. Maybe she wouldn't. Maybe she'd love it. You know best!

Congratulations and let us know how it goes!

Now to break the news. I, Sam3G am also z401409.

Yesterday the guys at www.flyranch.com.ar took my girlfriend and I hang gliding, and when she landed I proposed with the white gold ring I picked on on Calle Libertad (Paul Rivoir).

She didn't say yes.

She said "siiiii!!!"

It went fantastic. Thanks to this forum for all your help. We're moving to the US pretty soon!

-Sam

Literally and figuratively taking the plunge - well played.

Congrats and wishing you a lifetime of happiness:):)

Congratulations... how nice to read the question and answers...and to get the BIG "SIIII".. conclusion, all within 5 minutes :)

Back