Pros and Cons of Living in Buenos Aires vs Other International Cities

Buenos Aires vs Santiago

Buenos aires is totally superior in every way imaginable, except.... The pizza in santiago is much better. There's a few pizza restaurants owned by italian expats with top quality ingredients that are delicious.

AkBill said:
Buenos Aires vs Santiago

Buenos aires is totally superior in every way imaginable, except.... The pizza in santiago is much better. There's a few pizza restaurants owned by italian expats with top quality ingredients that are delicious.

Actually, the produce (even though I love the produce here) and access to fresh fish are much better in Santiago, too. Also, Santiago has much more ready access to nature by simple proximity than Buenos Aires does.

AkBill said:
Buenos Aires vs Santiago

I never thought anyone would agree with me on this, since people all over the place here scream that their pizza is the best in the world and Chile is basically shit in just about anything. And they give you the 'we have the biggest Italian population in the world after Italy' arguement. But i reallly liked my pizza in Santiago more...

BsAs v. LA

Both cities are "fashion forward." People in BsAs might even be more caught up in being fashionable than people in Los Angeles. But, the people in BsAs are pretty far behind.

Example: High-water pants for men and women (I can't remember their proper name, but they are the ones that come down to a few inches below the knee). They were becoming extremely popular in the U.S., especially LA, in the years before I moved to BsAs. When I got to BsAs, they were just starting to become popular (a few years after LA). So, in my opinion, people in BsAs love style/fashion--but the styles (at least from the U.S.) appear here pretty late in comparison. AND HERE CLOTHES ARE MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE. Even Levis' jeans are almost unaffordable.

AkBill said:
Buenos Aires vs Santiago

Interesting. I'd think that seafood in Santiago being superior would top the list over the pizza advantage.

Well after about 6 months here and 15 in NYC here is my take.

First, JP is pretty dead on. I think the big con (especially having a kid) is the distance from everything inside and outside of country. Flights in country are a bit pricey paying the "gringo tax" (especially for family of 3) and going to the States to visit family is maybe a twice a year proposition. If the train system was better I think it might make domestic travel easier and cheaper but the country is damn big, and I am not the 20 hour bus ride kind of guy.

Medical Care is amazing and I will absolutely miss it if I leave.

On Pizza: you get used to what you have to, so I will not say it sucks, but compared to what I prefer which is Neapolitan style pizza, it is not great.

More surprising and disappointing was the overall level of Italian food. However, I have come to learn that I (like most Americans) are used to Neapolitan/Campagnia food as being "Italian" food, and I have learned that most of the Italian immigrants here are from Genoa or Calabria, with very different food ideas. As an Italian friend from Rome put it: It's like there is on Island in the Atlantic and on the way over here the boats stopped and everybody got off and forgot all they knew about Italian cooking.

Another friend suggested that because everyone even average middle class can have a maid they did not develop the "get in the kitchen and learn at Mommy's feet tradition." Instead the kitchen is a room of closed doors.

Nevertheless, I have found 97% of the meals I have eaten out in restaurants amazing and affordable, which is not the case in NYC.

Business wise it is very hard here. Between the government and the employees, friends with businesses say they barely stand a chance, but I can not speak to that personally.

I will say, people are weird with money here. Between the not giving of change, and just seem weird discussing money and money issues, and also very untrusting in all financial matters. I am sure this is a result of past economic crisis (es)? But that can be awkward.

Ice cream=yummy (makes any US domestic brand seem like flavored plastic)

The woman all have long hair, short short short skirts, high heels and "ample bosoms" or "pushed up ones"...all of which is either a pro or con...you decide...

A&A said:
Well after about 6 months here and 15 in NYC here is my take.

First, JP is pretty dead on. I think the big con (especially having a kid) is the distance from everything inside and outside of country. Flights in country are a bit pricey paying the "gringo tax" (especially for family of 3) and going to the States to visit family is maybe a twice a year proposition. If the train system was better I think it might make domestic travel easier and cheaper but the country is damn big, and I am not the 20 hour bus ride kind of guy.

Medical Care is amazing and I will absolutely miss it if I leave.

On Pizza: you get used to what you have to, so I will not say it sucks, but compared to what I prefer which is Neapolitan style pizza, it is not great.

More surprising and disappointing was the overall level of Italian food. However, I have come to learn that I (like most Americans) are used to Neapolitan/Campagnia food as being "Italian" food, and I have learned that most of the Italian immigrants here are from Genoa or Calabria, with very different food ideas. As an Italian friend from Rome put it: It's like there is on Island in the Atlantic and on the way over here the boats stopped and everybody got off and forgot all they knew about Italian cooking.

Another friend suggested that because everyone even average middle class can have a maid they did not develop the "get in the kitchen and learn at Mommy's feet tradition." Instead the kitchen is a room of closed doors.

Nevertheless, I have found 97% of the meals I have eaten out in restaurants amazing and affordable, which is not the case in NYC.

Business wise it is very hard here. Between the government and the employees, friends with businesses say they barely stand a chance, but I can not speak to that personally.

I will say, people are weird with money here. Between the not giving of change, and just seem weird discussing money and money issues, and also very untrusting in all financial matters. I am sure this is a result of past economic crisis (es)? But that can be awkward.

Ice cream=yummy (makes any US domestic brand seem like flavored plastic)

The woman all have long hair, short short short skirts, high heels and "ample bosoms" or "pushed up ones"...all of which is either a pro or con...you decide...
u should see the mendocina ladies! in mendoza.. soo freakin hot!

Back