Pros/cons of areas to live?

Mike and G, if you're looking for any Catholic church, not just Roman, with services in English, I'd recommend San Salvador, on Cramer in Belgrano. An excellent pastor, nice congregation, with a castellano service as well.

"RWS" said:
Mike and G, if you're looking for any Catholic church, not just Roman, with services in English, I'd recommend San Salvador, on Cramer in Belgrano. An excellent pastor, nice congregation, with a castellano service as well.
Thanks RWS, but that one is an Anglican (protestant) church, I'm looking for a Roman Catholic church... :(

Thank you everybody for your thoughts and advice. As advised I think I'm going to try and find a short-term (1-2wk) rental in Palermo or Las Canitas and look for someplace more permanent from there. Which begs the next question: Aside from using websites like www.bytargentina.com or www.apartmentsba.com, how do people go about finding apartments? Just through local brokers?
Final question: a member emailed me about Las Cañitas, strongly suggested I live there. Any particular opinions regarding Las Cañitas?
Again, very grateful for the advice.

thehandler, I have an e-bijouterie store in Las Canitas. I like the place alot; it is always alive and though on the expensive side, it is a happening place. That does not preclude you from stepping outsde of LasC to venture and meet people and see other places (San Telmo, Recoleta, Palermo, etc). But this area is safe at night even very early mornings to walk around.The crowd is mostly of your age group with lots of places to eat, a plethora of people to meet and sounds to enjoy and the vibe is different in LasC. When you get to BsAs drop me a line. You will love BsAs. And just from a personal POV, the first time I saw LasC I fell in love with it, and all the other places paled in comparison to it; oh yeah others have charm and all that but I am all about energy and warmth. My family loves this place. I do not party much but my neighbors sure does.
I will not sass talk other places because I have not lived anywhere else but LasC. I love it here. And if you get bored of the hustle and buzzle of the city, there is always the countryside to go to in the weekend.
My son (young adult) loves it here (when he gets around to visiting his mother!). You have to come with an open heart and a good dose of open mind; it is different but again, you are stepping out of your comfort zone so you should expect it to be different; take the minuses with the pluses.
Stay for a week in one place Palermo or Belgrano, and then do daytrips to the other barrios and see what you think. If noise is not tolerable to you, you should try to visit the places you are considering at night - no matter how great the view if you need your Zen moments, it pays to be diligent when choosing an apartment to commit to.
Ciao and good luck.

gracee gets it. stay awhile in a place you are considering. i like almagro and villa crespo. not too far from palermo and a little more typical argentine for lack of a better word. do not get get too analytical. sometimes running on gut feelings is better. ciao

Hi, I read you are coming to Buenos Aires and looking for a good neighbourhood. I lived in San Telmo for a while and found it not so comfortable at night (I had to move because my car stereo was robbed every week. I bought an apartment in Palermo a few years ago in a really nice area, very near Palermo lakes and Palermo Hollywood district. The thing is in June I am travelling to Berlin for some months and looking for someone who might stay in my apartment. It is located in a very special block that has been declared of historical interest by the Government (the block looks like a mixture of Paris and Chelsea, I really love it) It has a lovely terrace and it is very lightly. If you think you might be interested in seeing some pictures, let me know and I can forward you some.

Click Text Here

Back