Public School's English Teacher

Ashlyn1

Registered
Hello my name is Ashlyn and I am planning on coming to Argentina next year to become an English teacher. I would like to eventually become an English teacher in a public school there. Do you know what the requirements are? Do I need to get a degree or a certificate from a university?

There is a global health pandemic, which, by next year, will be marching it's way through over 50% of Argentina's population. Argentina is, simultaneously, plunging towards an economic crisis, which, by next year, many analysts predict will have caused hyperinflation and food shortages. The composition and punctuation of your post suggests your written English is not strong. A rule of thumb for working in poor countries: if we are not qualified to work in our home country in a particular field, we should not imagine that we can work in that field elsewhere. If you do not yet have any ESL qualifications, you could look into the International House CELTA program, run here in Buenos Aires. They are very professional, their course is excellent, but demanding. By next year, if Argentina's borders are open and we are not in the midst of a disasterous health crisis and economic collapse, International House would be an excellent source of information and training. You would enroll in the one-month course, enter on a tourist visa, and, if you passed, the trainers might steer you towards potential employers willing to support your application for a working visa.

Last edited:
Just a suggestion but if the exchange rate continues to be at or around where it is at the moment it might make more sense to teach English online rather than in person while you are here, online roles are typically paid in USD meaning you can live quite comfortably without having to put pedal to the metal in terms of teaching hours.

You'd need to do visa runs or overstay, but I'm not sure how many schools would actually offer a work visa in any case.

oh oh.... Public Schools cannot possess English teachers. Maybe 'English teachers in public schools'.

There is not a huge demand for English teachers here, at least not in comparison with other countries in South America. If you just want to teach and aren't specifically looking to move to Argentina, I would suggest either Chile or Colombia instead. Both of them have government-funded initiatives to promote English language learning in public and private schools. Teachaway.com also would be a good place to start, even if they constantly try to push their overpriced TEFL course.

Just a suggestion but if the exchange rate continues to be at or around where it is at the moment it might make more sense to teach English online rather than in person while you are here, online roles are typically paid in USD meaning you can live quite comfortably without having to put pedal to the metal in terms of teaching hours.

You'd need to do visa runs or overstay, but I'm not sure how many schools would actually offer a work visa in any case.
Yes, I have thought about doing this to earn extra money. I would like to also teach in person for experience, but I think I would do both.

There is not a huge demand for English teachers here, at least not in comparison with other countries in South America. If you just want to teach and aren't specifically looking to move to Argentina, I would suggest either Chile or Colombia instead. Both of them have government-funded initiatives to promote English language learning in public and private schools. Teachaway.com also would be a good place to start, even if they constantly try to push their overpriced TEFL course.
I am specifically looking to move to Argentina, but I might consider it. Thank you so much, I definitely will check out teachaway!

Back