Publishing A Novel????

Mano Negra

Registered
Does anyone have any experience or good contacts in the world of publishing. I expect to finish my first novel in the next 8 weeks. It is a financial thriller dealing with financial fraud and biotechnology with a hint of S&M (yes I did start writing it before 50 Shades of Grey was published). I would also be interested in talking to anyone who is experienced in editing fiction or has worked as a literary agent.

Guy Kawasaki just published a book on doing just what you are asking. Book is call APE.....author, publisher, entrepanur. It's on amazon for $9.99 kindle version. I know because I just bought it for my son who just finished his first book. Guy Kawasaki is a good guy and has written many books. I'll put you two (you and my son) in touch if you are interested. He's in the states. PM me.

Thanks, looked at his site and it looks as though it is specifically for ebooks. I am hoping to go the more "traditional" way as my book is aimed more at the "airport purchase" market. I think ebooks may work well for specific subjects (he seems focussed on marketing) but to launch as a thriller writer the ideal is to work with an established publisher. However getting in the door may prove pretty difficult, so the ebook market may be the only option down the line in which case I will certainly take you up on your offer of an intro.

You picked a tough time to try and break into the paper book business. Kindle and other ebook websites are in the process of killing off traditional publishers. They are going to do to them just what internet file sharing did to record stores. Did you think that Borders would vanish? Did you think that Blockbuster would go broke? How long do you think Barnes & Noble will be around? I love B&N and I love physical books but I can see that they are going the way of wind-up record players.
Publishers are scared and are not signing up new authors in such an uncertain market. I would recommend that you read the last twelve issues of Writers' Digest Magazine. They have many articles on how to find an agent, internet publishing, the state of the industry, etc. There are also books on all these topics and many blogs on internet publishing.
The fact that your novel has an S&M theme (or subtheme) means that the book will be considered an attempt to cash in on the 50 Shades phenomenon. The fact that you were writing on it before 50 Shades came out is irrelevant. That may not be fair, but that's life. Being first matters.
Good luck. Remember what Billy Crystal said: Writers write.

You picked a tough time to try and break into the paper book business. Kindle and other ebook websites are in the process of killing off traditional publishers. They are going to do to them just what internet file sharing did to record stores. Did you think that Borders would vanish? Did you think that Blockbuster would go broke? How long do you think Barnes & Noble will be around? I love B&N and I love physical books but I can see that they are going the way of wind-up record players.
Publishers are scared and are not signing up new authors in such an uncertain market. I would recommend that you read the last twelve issues of Writers' Digest Magazine. They have many articles on how to find an agent, internet publishing, the state of the industry, etc. There are also books on all these topics and many blogs on internet publishing.
The fact that your novel has an S&M theme (or subtheme) means that the book will be considered an attempt to cash in on the 50 Shades phenomenon. The fact that you were writing on it before 50 Shades came out is irrelevant. That may not be fair, but that's life. Being first matters.
Good luck. Remember what Billy Crystal said: Writers write.

Interestingly I have reviewed all the listings under financial fiction on amazon and the vast majority (even the new ones) seem to have a publisher which leads me to think there is still some value in trying this route. Not sure you are comparing like with like though. Yes, I did think blockbuster would go bust as I was a dot com financier. But blockbuster was a physical shop that was obviously going to be replaced by a virtual shop in the same way that most record shops are dead or struggling to survive. However most successful musicians are still signed to record companies and most film makers still work with studios. The medium of distribution may have changed but the advantages of having a big company promoting you probably haven't. That being said I am sure it is pretty tough to get in the door these days.

Back