Qantas repatriation flight from Buenos Aires

Eighteen months into the pandemic, the government is going to send a plane to rescue us from the first country in the world to declare the pandemic over to take us to the last country in the world where the pandemic is only now beginning and where vaccines are in short supply. A trip of 14,500 kilometers to the remote north of the country. On arrival, even though we are fully vaccinated, they will transport us to an more even remote former mining camp in the desert, and keep us there for 14 days. They will then fly us another 4000 kilometers to release us into cities in strict lockdown--one of which has now taken the crown from Buenos Aires as the most-locked down city in the world and where misery is rife and civil unrest is breaking out. And where the health system, despite having 18 months to prepare, is predicted to soon fail. And once there, we will be outlawed from leaving the last country in the world to face the pandemic so we can return to the first country in the world to declare the pandemic over.

Last edited:
Ha ha fair point! There actually was a repat flight April 25th last year. But yep definitely very fair point :)
Question: has any Aussie worked out how to get your Pfizer or AstraZeneca done overseas registered toMedicare -whilst being overseas? From what I understand you must first return to Australia because the process is your gp has to approve the overseas vaccination before you can upload to Medicare ?

Ha ha fair point! There actually was a repat flight April 25th last year. But yep definitely very fair point :)
Question: has any Aussie worked out how to get your Pfizer or AstraZeneca done overseas registered toMedicare -whilst being overseas? From what I understand you must first return to Australia because the process is your gp has to approve the overseas vaccination before you can upload to Medicare ?
Perhaps check to see if your GP is a recognised vaccine provider and is willing to do a consult virtually via Skype... I think you will need to get a translation done first however. The GP / vaccine provider then needs to upload the information onto the national database.

Skype consult is a great idea! I ll give it a try.
Many thanks!

Well, this is the $3000 question. Given that they are, supposedly, soon going to be introducing free home quarantine for vaccinated returnees (instead of $3000 hotel quarantine), how on earth is that going to work if you have to first arrive to get your GP to authorize your certificate.

Argentina has announced its Credencial de Vacunación Digital (CVD), which supposedly it has communicated to embassies as the official system for people vaccinated in Argentina to be recognized as vaccinated when they enter another country. I had hoped to be able to rely on that. But don't bother asking the embassy here whether they have received notification of the CVD, or what they have done with it. They won't tell you.

Please let us know how the Skype call goes. It will be a very interesting project: trying to get a doctor there to certify a vaccination certificate issued here in such a way that you can upload it and get status for it. It will be interesting trying to do it even face to face, let alone from overseas via Skype. But if it works, that would be great.

The Australian government organized to pluck people to safety from across the continent by making them travel to the country whose borders, at the same they started organizing the flight, remained tightly shut (and had no prospect of opening in time were it not for an unexpected election loss). You couldn't make this stuff up.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Heather G Expat Life 38
Back