Qs World University Rankings: Uba #124

ElCordobés

Registered
I always take these with the grain of salt, but UBA does pretty well.

ALL http://www.topuniversities.com/universities/universidad-de-buenos-aires-uba#wur

UBA http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2015#sorting=rank+region=213+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=uba

#124 Overall
#46 Academic Reputation
#29 Employer Reputation (Between Columbia University and Princeton. Really?)
#246 Faculty/Student Ratio
#398 International Faculty
#385 International Students

Being 124th is doing "pretty well?" Also, 15th in Latin America? And the top ten (LatAm) is dominated by Brazil. Color me not impressed.

EDIT: ok, buddy. 124th overall and 15th in the region is as good as number 1 as long as it validates your life choices/pre-existing beliefs. I hear INDEC is hiring.

www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/latam-university-rankings/2015#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=

Yes (if one can take any stock in the ranking methodology).

It ranks well against highly regarded public research universities in the US.

And by some measures as well as Ivy League.

So for a free public institution against the world's universities. Yeah, pretty well.

And the top ten (LatAm) is dominated by Brazil.

Top Ten Latin America

Argentina: 2
Brazil: 2
Chile: 2
Mexico: 2
Columbia: 2

Top Ten South America:

Argentina: 3
Brazil: 3
Chile: 2
Columbia: 2

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2015#sorting=rank+region=349+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=

The problem is that the methodology used is not suitable for such global comparisons. Just take the employer rankings: UBA has close to a perfect score here. But if you'd ask 1000 people around the globe about UBA and universities like MIT, Harvard, Cambridge, etc., I'm pretty sure most of those people instantly recognize the latter ones, while UBA is most likely rarely recognized outside of South America. The same "locality bias" exists for the academic reputation (and for that one could actually find more objective measures pretty easily). Even if one considers the methodology as sound, it would be only appropriate to use it to make regional comparisons in my opinion.

Best in Iberoamerica

124 over 900 institutions world wide.

Better than:

Humboldt, in Germany
Maryland
Georgia
Liverpool
Dublin
all the spaniards

Anyway, I dont believe in these rankings.

The problem is that the methodology used is not suitable for such global comparisons. Just take the employer rankings: UBA has close to a perfect score here. But if you'd ask 1000 people around the globe about UBA and universities like MIT, Harvard, Cambridge, etc., I'm pretty sure most of those people instantly recognize the latter ones, while UBA is most likely rarely recognized outside of South America. The same "locality bias" exists for the academic reputation (and for that one could actually find more objective measures pretty easily). Even if one considers the methodology as sound, it would be only appropriate to use it to make regional comparisons in my opinion.

Depends.
UBA has many carrers with different levels of education.

I m sure that regarding law is better ranked as soon as you finish with the education level of a master.

While a PHD takes a couple of years at an US university, it takes no less than 10 at UBA.

In fact, the master at UBA has the same programm than the last 2 years of the law degree because if targeted to lawyers of other universities wirh lower academic level.

If you see the agreements that UBA has with foreign universities, you can do an exchange with Columbia for example. My former fiance did it. Later she got a full scholarship at Stanford for the PHD.

Regarding employers, any international Courts and even the UN is coup by lawyers from UBA if you are thinking in a job abroad.

I have friends working at the International Criminal Court, The Hage International Court, The Interamerican Court of Human Rights, Interamerican Comition of Human Rights, UN, ACNUR, European Human Rights Court and so on.

Regarding local jobs it is accurate, employers looks for UBA's students and lawyers.

So, depends if you are talking about ingeniers, architects, lawyers, etc.

Back