Question About Rentista Visa Dni Renewal

Thanks Steve. If I understand correctly, I think what you're saying is I can bypass the permanent residency process with migraciones entirely (and the 3rd rentista renewal after 3 years) via the rentista visas, and be eligible for citizenship after 2 years "residency" in the country. Is that correct?

My first question is, is that process a completely different route than rentista visas leading to permanent residency? Or do you still need to do rentista visa at some point (after tourist visa?) for those first 2 years, but instead of renewing a 2nd time after 2 years (and 3rd in 3), you instead just apply directly for citizenship through the courts?

If I attempt to meet the two year "residency" requirement, does that mean it only applies with two years of temporary residence/rentista visa? Or do other types of (non-resident?) visas apply? Do student visas count for this? Tourist visas/stamps? When you say the process can begin with a year of when I "set foot" it sounds like, yes, tourist time and any other legal methods of entry will count for "residency" as well, but can you confirm it all is considered "residency?"

You said you must be in Argentina 6 months per year to renew temporary residency. This likely is irrelevant to me as I would probably stay there 9-11 months of the year but is there a way to be considered accumulating residency time (towards citizenship) without a formal "temporary residency?" Or is any kind of visa considered to be "temporary resident?"

You mention a lawyer is needed to get citizenship without a DNI, but if I get a DNI and still go for citizenship, is a lawyer still needed?

I'm coming to Argentina next month and hoping I'll love it! Thanks.

Permanent residency is granted by migraciones on the third renewal, so you do have to have temporary residency for three years before it can become permanent. Even then, the DNI is not "permanent " as it will expire in fifteen years. At that point you will have to renew the DNI, but you won't have to return to migraciones. Nonetheless, in order to maintain permanent residency you have to set foot on Argentine soil at least once every two years.

There is a two year "residency" requirement for citizenship and you can begin the process one year after you first set foot on Argentine soil for the first time. That is the date your Argentine residency begins (as far as getting citizenship is concerned). Citizenship is obtained through the federal court system and migraciones has nothing to do with it. A DNI is not required. That being said, if you apply for citizenship without a DNI you will need a lawyer.

PS: In order to be able to renew temporary residency, you must (physically) be in Argentina at least six months of the year (in the aggregate).

PS2: A continuous physical presence in Argentina is not required to fulfill the two year residency requirement for citizenship.

I hope I can simplify things here. If I am incorrect about any of this I expect Dr. Rubilar to correct it.

You get temporary residency and a DNI via migraciones.

You get citizenship through the federal court.

if you come to Argentine and never get temporary residency (and therefore do not have a DNI), you can still apply for citizenship, starting the process one year after you first set foot in Argentina. If you have been here before, the clock for citizenship started ticking on the first day, but you will need a lawyer to apply for citizenship if you don't have a DNI.

If you get temporary residency you will have a DNI. With your DNI you can start the process of citizenship without a lawyer as early as one year after your first arrival in Argentina. You should renew your temporary residency prior to applying for citizenship and be prepared to renew it again (at the start of youre third year) in case citizenship isn't granted. If citizenship isn't granted you can apply for permanent residency on what will be the third renewal. This known as the "cambio de categoria" (from temporary to permanent resdiency).

To obtain citizenship you will have to "prove" an "honest means" of living (income certified by an Argentine accountant), a certificado de domicilio, and possibly your birth certificate. The exact requirements vary from one jurisdiction to another. The court will order you to have your fingerprints taken by the policia federal.

Well into the process of applying for citizenship you may be asked to supply an FBI report (if you are from the USA). If you have already applied for a DNI at migraciones you will already have an FBI report, but don't get one in advance if you are only going to apply for citizenship. The secretary of the court will tell you what do and when to do it.

If any of this isn't clear please let me know.
emo32.gif

On these points, everything is now very clear, thank you very much. I just didn't realize there was a path to citizenship without permanent residency first, and had heard there was a 2-year possibility and I guess I mixed the different sources. Thanks though, this is helpful.

Back