Question About Spanish

Cheng

Registered
Hi, my son is doing his Spanish homework and seems to have hit a snag. I was wondering if anyone of you Spanish speakers or otherwise could help him out? Thanks so much.

Escriba una respuesta para cada pregunta. Use los pronombres de complemento directo y complemento indirecto juntos. ¡OJO! Una de las respuestas es un mandato.

—¿Puedo pedirte un favor?
—¡Claro que puedes _________!

Profesora, ¿le damos a Ud. la tarea ahora?
—Sí, por favor, ________ ahora.

Hi! I'm a native spanish speaker, but I don't really remember grammar from school so I'll just tell you what sounds right to me. Hope it helps.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]—¿Puedo pedirte un favor? [/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]—¡Claro que puedes pedírmelo! [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Profesora, ¿le damos a Ud. la tarea ahora? [/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]—Sí, por favor, dénmela ahora. [/background]

That's right. In the case of the first answer pedírmelo, me would be complemento indirecto and lo is complemento directo.

Hey, I don't defend cheaters, but it's perfectly fine to ask if you need help. It's not like he wrote down the whole exercise. The important thing is to learn so he can do it on his own next time, which is why I explained it above.

What did the child learn from this homework problem? Nada.

All he/she did was fill in the blanks with the correct information that mom/dad obtained from the forum. Mom/dad is trying to be helpful, but the kid isn't learning by figuring it out for himself/herself.

This isn't preparation for life when you can't get the answers from mom or dad. Homework is good practice for life. And life isn't about correct answers for good grades.

What did the child learn from this homework problem? Nada.

All he/she did was fill in the blanks with the correct information that mom/dad obtained from the forum. Mom/dad is trying to be helpful, but the kid isn't learning by figuring it out for himself/herself.

This isn't preparation for life when you can't get the answers from mom or dad. Homework is good practice for life. And life isn't about correct answers for good grades.

You are very wise! I really admire how you are able to draw such conclusions about parenting and indeed offer your thoughts about the meaning of what life is all about from a simple request from are parent trying to help their kid with a single homework problem. Thank you for making my life better by telling how to a better parent. I bet you're a great parent! By the way, how many kids do you have?

Thank you so much for your help. My son really appreciates the help. My son has tried for hours with all different ways to answer these questions and he wasn't able to get the answer by himself. Just asking for some Spanish help. He is not a person who doesn't put effort into his work and just runs to his parent for help. At some point, when you don't know the answer yourself, you have to ask for help from someone who has answers or you will never grow. Grammar is a thing that you can't get just by guessing at it or working harder. Thanks again to NatV for helping.

I think it's up to the parents to decide how they want to help their child. You guys who think this is cheating have no idea how Cheng deals with the answer that he has in hand. Give Cheng the benefit of the doubt as to how Cheng handled it with the son.

Hell, worst case scenario he cared enough about his son to help him with his homework. Both here and in the States I've seen kids take a snapshot of their homework and send it to their friends to copy, not even involving the parents and truly just outright cheating. Absolute worst case scenario the kid trusts that Cheng will help him out with a problem rather than just telling him "go figure it out yourself".

There are so many worse things that can go wrong with parenting that to castigate someone publicly with how they choose to raise their kid with such an issue just doesn't seem very neighborly.

Back