Question for Americans:Voting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SEE THIS:

1. Request Your Ballot: Complete a new Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). You must complete a new FPCAto ensure you receive your ballot for the 2018 elections. The completion of the FPCA allows you to request absentee ballots for all elections for federal offices (President, U.S. Senate, and U.S. House of Representatives) including primaries and special elections during the calendar year in which it is submitted. The FPCA is accepted by all local election officials in all U.S. states and territories. (Check with your state’s elections officials about voting in local elections.)

You can complete the FPCA online at www.FVAP.gov. The online voting assistant will ask you questions specific to your state. We encourage you to choose the option to have your blank ballots delivered to you electronically (by email, internet download, or fax, depending on your state). Include your email address on your FPCA to take advantage of the electronic ballot delivery option. Return the FPCA per the instructions on the website. FVAP.gov will tell you if your state allows the FPCA to be returned electronically or if you must submit a paper copy with original signature. If you must return a paper version, please see below for mailing options.

2. Receive and Complete Your Ballot: States are required to send out ballots 45 days before a regular election for federal office and states generally send out ballots at least 30 days before primary elections. For most states, you can confirm your registration and ballot delivery online.

3. Return Your Completed Ballot: Some states allow you to return your completed ballot by email or fax. If your state requires you to return paper voting forms or ballots to local election officials, you can use international mail, a courier service such as FedEx or DHL, or you may drop off completed voting materials at the U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires, Monday thru Friday from 8am to 5pm on Av Cerviño 4320. Place your materials in a postage paid return envelope (available under “Downloadable Election Materials” on the FVAP homepage) or in an envelope bearing sufficient domestic U.S. postage, and address it to the relevant local election officials.

4. New this year – email to fax service by FVAP! - the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) will provide an email-to-fax conversion service for voters who have difficulty sending election materials to States that do not accept emailed documents. Get more information here.

My ballot request is already on its way to Illinois via the diplomatic pouch. I hand-delivered my ballot request to the Cervino entrance of the Embassy last week, instead of mailing it or giving it to someone returning to the US.

This was the first time I used the diplomatic pouch for sending my absentee ballot request to the county clerk. Never again. It wasn't delivered. I wrote the clerk this week for confirmation. Ballots are sent 30 days before the election (March 20) by email. I can't vote in the primary. I'll use snail mail next time.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I've done it several times now and it really wasn't too much of a hassle. It was actually surprisingly well organized and simple and just required some emails back and forth to the County Clerk's Office. I imagine that's what some mean when they reference "your voting precinct". Not at all a hassle and I confess I wonder if they are ever actually counted, but that's my jaundice at work again.

It is time to focus on the Mid-term elections for November 2018. The democracy is at stake. It is possible to flip the House and Senate to DEMOCRATIC. Get yourself registered to receive an absentee ballot that is emailed 30 days before the election of Nov 6. Vote!

i will probably fly back to the states instead of trying to vote absentee from here. it's worth the trip.

Oops. Roberto Reich isn't correct about the convention, and this video explains why.

Bumping this post after a discussion about absentee voting at pub chat...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back