Question for the Ladies from a Lady

bmagda

Registered
Hi Lady Expats!

This message is regarding sanitary products?

Do they sell normal American brands (kotex, tampax, etc). Are they difficult to find? Does the American types/lengths/absorbancies carry over there? Or is there a different color code?

Thanks!

Off the top of my head, the only tampon brands here are Days and OB. The types are the same as in the US but they do not come with applicators, although OB doesn't in the US either. There is a much greater variety of pads here than tampons. Also, I've never seen Instead or other cups.

You can find Playtex with applicators at some Farmacity stores (I've bought some from the Las Cañitas store) but they're more expensive than OB or Days.

Hop said:
Off the top of my head, the only tampon brands here are Days and OB. The types are the same as in the US but they do not come with applicators, although OB doesn't in the US either. There is a much greater variety of pads here than tampons.

This comment echoes my experiences here, although even Days can be difficult to find. In my city, OB is pretty much the only game in town, with a choice of just two absorbancies.

Slopey said:
You can find Playtex with applicators at some Farmacity stores (I've bought some from the Las Cañitas store) but they're more expensive than OB or Days.

I did see Playtex (or was it Tampax?) once at a Farmacity near El Obelisco. They were significantly more expensive than OB.

I wrote a post on my blog about this topic some time ago that you might enjoy: http://www.seashellsandsunflowers.com/2009/09/one-for-ladies.html

Playtex is really the only US brand you can find (other than OB) and I only see them at Farmacity. A lot of Pharmacies do have tampons but they are behind the counter so you have to ask.

As for pads, they have Always brand.

Playtex arrived (finally) sometimes last year! I couldn't believe my eyes. lol As others have mentioned, they can mostly be found in Farmacity but I think I got them once at a biiiiig Coto.

When I first lived here years ago, I couldn't find the applicator kinds and asked my Argentine female friend and she was like 'what applicator?' She didn't get it and still doesn't. Needless to say, I have adapted but glad to have the option now!

Back