Question - Renters / Owners

rpkerston

Registered
Folks -

I've looked and not found this dealt with previously - please forgive / re-direct me if I'm wrong!

Is it legally permissible / possible for a group of owners within an apartment building to - at some point - make a collective decision that they do not wish to have any renters in their building, thus denying any owners the possibility of such rentals?

I might mention this hasn't yet become an issue for me, but could...

Also, it may or may not be useful to know I live in the PROVINCE of BsAs (Tigre) and NOT in the capital city - if there are differences between what might be provincial versus city regulations / laws / ordinances.

I ask because I know that in N America, there are some locales and coops where renters are verboten... and I wonder if that's possible, here.

MANY THANKS, IN ADVANCE!

Paul

In the United States the bylaws, regulations, etc dictate whether or not a Condominium Association, Co-op, etc can prohibit owners from renting their units. I'm going to guess it is the same here. Also as in the US, those rules can be changed by a dictated percentage of owners, members of The Association. So I would also venture to guess it would be the same here.

Thanks ever-so-much, bobnsnowpuppy: I had surmised as much but certainly didn't know.

I've now - separately - been given the name of the applicable law for this instance, so I can look it up.

Appreciatively,

Paul

Back