Questions About Spices

You can find this in the US all over. Maybe look in the nearest chinatown?
I have not been to chinese in Belgrano in over a year - got too touristy for my taste and too crowded - they used to carry it, now with the current restrictions on imports I am not so sure, that is why I was asking :)

Has anybody seen sriracha sauce in Barrio Chino? Not sure if this you could bring BROOKLYN, but I would be most grateful! I think I developed some sort of addiction to the damn thing.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]They had it in Casa Japonesa, Venezuela 2100, last month.[/background]

Cruizes, I saw pinto beans ( beans =porotos) in Liniers . I might go there next Saturday for chiles . If you want any brought back let me know. I have no idea about prices so let me know your upper limit .
I do not buy spices in barrio chino any more . Almost all that I bought were tasteless .They do have Cayenne but it was like saw dust. I buy dried chiles and grind my own . I often buy fresh, again in Liniers where they have the most flavour varieties.
If you want spicy powder ask your verdulero if they sell locoto en polvo .The little envelope costs about 3 pesos and is of a decent spiciness .

Edit :I forgot to say that the pinto beans are the dried variety .If you want the La Costeña canned variety then Ichi Ban in Barrio Chino is the way to go.

A really good place for spices and nuts (VERY low prices) and good quality, is "Bombonería Royal". It's a big candy, wine and gift shop at Lavalle 951 (peatonal),between Carlos Pellegrini (9 de Julio) & Suipacha, about 1 block from the Obelisco. It looks like a big candy store but all the way in the back they sell many items in bulk, and you will be surprised at the low prices. I buy pepper (for grinding), garlic, parsley, hot pepper flakes, oregano, basil, walnuts, prunes, peanuts and sesame seeds there. I have never found lower prices anywhere else.

Nikad - They definitely have Sriracha in Barrio Chino, even now. Definitely in Asia Oriental on Mendoza or the Casa China that is further away from the arch. If your schedule permits, I'd suggest going there during the week - weekends can be too crowded, not to mention that the produce doesn't tend to be as fresh.

i saw the chili powder - a big bag of it about 20-25 pesos, but i can't remember which market it was in!! But there are only 3 that I go to, the one on Mendoza @ Arribeños, then Casa China and Ichiban. I'm pretty sure it was in the Mendoza one, because they have a section of spices that is unlike the others (i.e. it is half way down the aisle and only a few big bags- vs. the other markets that have the little bags that look like they are packaged there at the store and always at the end of the aisle)

I have not been to chinese in Belgrano in over a year - got too touristy for my taste and too crowded - they used to carry it, now with the current restrictions on imports I am not so sure, that is why I was asking :)
The red crack juice aka Sriracha is at Casa China ... they have a smallish bottle for 50ish pesos and a larger one I think is now 70ish ... we buy the large bottle monthly ... I've even gotten my Argie father in law hooked on it too!

Back