Questions from a newcommer (más amigo)

John.St said:
No, hablo castellano aprendé en Castilla, España, y Jakob ha aprendido español en Dinamarca y España.
No creo que él necesita un curso de español,

sorry, for some strange reason I thought JPD or his friend didn't speak spanish (well) :eek:

katti said:
sorry, for some strange reason I thought JPD or his friend didn't speak spanish (well)
Nice of you anyway to tip us, as we might have needed a Spanish course - many newcomers do :)

katti said:
sorry, for some strange reason I thought JPD or his friend didn't speak spanish (well) :eek:
You're right, "katti". Jakob wrote, "My Spanish is ok[ay] after 1 year on and of[f] living in Spain, but my friend’s vocabulary is limited to [']una cerveza más, por favor.[']"

John.St said:
. . . . I have also found an old fashioned, soft Esp.: Plumier (DK: penalhus, don't know the English word for it) extremely useful . . . .
In English, we call it a "pencil case". You're right, it's a bit old-fashioned nowadays.

Hello,

I like soloduenos.com; as the name implies, listings are direct from the owners. You avoid the 20% fee that many intermediaries charge. Bytargentina.com is a reputable business with lots of supply, but i hate that they wouldn't let me see an apt before renting. I rented from both. In general, the prices of furnished apts here are maybe 3x that of a similar unfurnished place. But you have little choice, unless you want to share accomodation with someone else. If that's something you're willing to do to save money, then i suggest looking here: http://buenosaires.en.craigslist.org/roo/ You'll save lots of money that way. I also agree that committing to a longer timeframe could be dangerous. There are lots of things that cannot be seen, smelled or heard in a few pictures.

Regarding ATMs, i've found that at most ATMs that use the Banelco network, I can withdraw 700 pesos at a time, and do it multiple times in a row, until I've met my home bank's daily withdrawal limit (around 2500 pesos). You may pay multiple fees at both banks, but it does work.

A tip: Try to only take "Radio" taxis. They typically have a white or yellow sign on the top of the cab that says Radio Taxi (and maybe the company name as well). In my experience, others are much more likely to try to rip you off, either by fast meter, giving you counterfeit by telling you that your money is already counterfeit and switching it, or by driving the "long" way somewhere.

The radio taxi will have just that, a CB radio, inside. I have never had a bad experience with one , while i have already had two in non-radio taxis, and i have taken maybe 50x more radio taxi rides.

Speaking of counterfeit, good to learn the differences between real money and fake money (esp with 50's and 100's). You'll notice cashiers typically check those bills, because it is an issue here, especially for tourists. Ask a local you trust, they'll be happy to show you what to look for.

Enjoy your stay!

RWS said:
You're right, "katti". Jakob wrote, "My Spanish is ok[ay] after 1 year on and of[f] living in Spain, but my friend’s vocabulary is limited to [']una cerveza más, por favor.[']"
You are right - I completely forgot about Jakob's anonymous friend.

Sorry about that, Katti, you were right about Jakob's unknown friend - my mistake :eek:
You are allowed: On my head, with frying pan, hit, 1.
I do hope you will allow me: On my head, helmet, officers model, 1.

John.St said:
You are allowed: On my head, with frying pan, hit, 1.
I do hope you will allow me: On my head, helmet, officers model, 1.

frying pan. hmm. interesting! :D

katti said:
frying pan. hmm. interesting! :D
And helmet!!!

<panic mode on> Don't forget the helmet! - pleeeeeeease!

- and I don't like that grin of yours combined with "interesting!".

RWS said:
In English, we call it a "pencil case". You're right, it's a bit old-fashioned nowadays.
Thanx - made a note of it in my Eng/Span dictionary.

Yet the one in the photo is only about 6 weeks old, had it made by a shoe maker (AR$ 40) based on the one I bought in Mexico when the hills were young.

RWS said:

Pencil cases are old fashioned? When did that happen? I have like 8 of them. You can buy them in every papershop on the plant. I can't be the only one buying them.

Back