Rainstorms in BA- love them or hate them?

Rease

Registered
The storms in Buenos Aires can be intense. I usually love storms but I have to admit that in BA they are much more of a pain with the streets flooding and all the walking my daily life requires. However, I also think locals tend to freak out just a little too much by staying home just due to rain or refusing to go anywhere without a taxi. How do you feel about the storms here?

They actually make it warmer, so for that I'm grateful. ie. cloud cover = slightly higher temps. Though is they could keep themselves to the night and not ruin my sunny day I'd appreciate it!

And you're right about locals freaking out, it's just water after all. But when your whole life is about looking "immaculate" I guess a little rain can ruin that. ;)

There are many parts of this city/suburbs outside the expat bubble that lose power for days or just have it cut for a few hours every day and after every big rainstorm/flood coming home and finding you place flooded or you food ruined as no power ...people do tend to freak out a bit

Rease said:
The storms in Buenos Aires can be intense. I usually love storms but I have to admit that in BA they are much more of a pain with the streets flooding and all the walking my daily life requires. However, I also think locals tend to freak out just a little too much by staying home just due to rain or refusing to go anywhere without a taxi. How do you feel about the storms here?

But the streets are not flooding quite so much this year, don't you think? And I don't think people are dying this time. Maybe some of Macri's public works are having a beneficial effect (much to Cristina's chagrin, I expect).

Love them. Albeit having lived in a penthouse with a metal roof... the hail storms were a bit loud. But exciting. I also loved how you could be sitting outside in a cafe on a sunny day...in moments the day becomes night.. everyone runs for cover (as if it was a bomb attack)... the waiter puts a shield in the door... next... sheets of rain.. I just sit outside...watching the poop...wash away :p

on this last one alone two people have died, 50+ were severely injured--not mentioning the millions of pesos lost in property damages-- ...If these are not enough reasons for you guys to freak out... =/

I love the storms. They aren't as strong as what I am used to back home but they sure do bring a lot more rain than I am used to. Now that I'm not living in a flood zone I enjoy them more.

The only problem I have is that after it rains, the entire city smells like cat pee to me.

Back