Rat At The Supermarket

BlueArrow

Registered
I was in the Disco supermarket in Palermo Soho the other day and a large rat scurried from the gap under one fruit display to the gap under another fruit display. Needless to say, I was alarmed. I've never lived in a city this big and dense - is that typical? I wouldn't think so, but what do I know?

It was mid-day and there weren't many customers. I found an attendant stocking the meat case nearby and in my limited Spanish, pointed and said "grande rata", but he just gave me a strange look and walked away.

Rats, roaches, pigoens and other pests are a part of big city life. Having them inside the store is pretty alarming though.

For future reference you can tell a store worker "Vi una rata bajo las frutas"

Never seen that but not surprised it was in Palermo Soho, that neighborhood always smells like a sewer.

Should you be surprised? It often amazes me how filthy products on the shelf are. Yogurt, Philadelphia Cream Cheese containers etc. with grime all over them. Lettuce that looks as though its been sitting in the sun for a couple of days, oranges so full of brown spots they hardly look like oranges. There have been times when I refused to buy items that were presented in horrible condition on supermarket shelves -- and I am speaking of Recoleta supermarkets.

Should you be surprised? It often amazes me how filthy products on the shelf are. Yogurt, Philadelphia Cream Cheese containers etc. with grime all over them. Lettuce that looks as though its been sitting in the sun for a couple of days, oranges so full of brown spots they hardly look like oranges. There have been times when I refused to buy items that were presented in horrible condition on supermarket shelves -- and I am speaking of Recoleta supermarkets.

Yeah, I've seen some products that were absolutely filthy. A film of greasy grime that has dust stuck to it. :p

Did not have a chance to read the posts. How much do they charge a pound for the white meat?

Last year someone videoed a rat running around the window of a panaderia near Plaza Italia. Seems the rat was having a lot of fun eating the pasta frolas that the bakery intended to sell several days after production. The video wound up on TV. The panaderian was closed and reopened under another name,

It always amazes me to see people so much concerned with being soaked in fragrance can live in dirty potholes, eat expired and day-old food (and pretend it's good) and sit on the train floor. I once commented on a vintage picture on FB showing a public train in the '20 and added "nobody sat on the floor" and I had people asking "What is wrong with sitting on the train floor?!".

Scene #1 from Saturday. I was on the train from San Isidro to Belgrano. A couple of girls in their 20s came on, with a cup of coffee to go and a bag of facturas. They were middle-class girls, very white. The train starts and they sat on the floor (one of them had a miniskirt, effectively sitting in her underwear on the train floor), laid the bag of facturas open on the train floor and had breakfast. They touched the train floor with their hands to rest / adjust their position and one second after with the same hand they took a factura and ate it. I was in horror and wanted to offer them my seat, but they wouldn't have understood WHY, so I just stared.

Scene #2 from today. Same train and same route. A couple of male friends come in. One is holding a peeled banana in one hand. He was passing the banana from one hand to the other AFTER TOUCHING the poles inside of the train. Again, I was disgusted to see how he was eating this banana after touching a train. EWWWWW!

Scene#3 - I went out with an Argentine friend and her 3-years old. We were at Peru Beach. She sat on the floor while we were talking. I stood on foot for a good minute before realizing she sat to stay and not to rest a few secs. :huh:

Seriously, this is disgusting! The other day I went into a bakery to buy some facturas and there were BEES on them. The lady didn't seem to bother, she simply waved themaway.
A couple of weeks ago I went to shop for veggies at the Bolivian place nearby, everything under the summer sun, swarms of bees flying all over (inside and outside the shop). I can home and started cooking, I started to feel my neck tickle and I thought it was a lock of hair... NO, it was a bee, which was packed together with my plums! Mamma mia! :eek:

I have had store owners asking me for baby cats to keep trapped in their store so that they can mouse-hunt. (They know I rescue cats). What's wrong with you people?! Do you think having rats in a vegetable store is a healthy thing?!

Back