Re: Is it time to get out?

soulskier

Registered
No, I don't think it is time to hit the ejector button. But I would say it is time to start paying more attention to the situation.

I'll assume you mean Gualeguaychú, which for anyone not familar with Argentina is a city in southeast Entre Rios province and borders Uruguay. It's been the scene of protests and roadblocks, the latest by farmers upset about taxes and government. http://africa.reuters.com/country/NE/news/usnN08382602.html
Is this a signal to get of Argentina? Maybe, but that depends on your financial situation. Anyone with foreign money can live well in Argentina and while these strikes or shortages are a concern, it's always the poor locals that suffer most. If anything, another economic crash in Argentina would be a good thing for expats since the peso is sure to drop in value.
The real concern is the protesting that can happen in Argentina. There's a reason that every window has bars on it and the place is built like preparation for war. This protest in Gualeguaychu is an example of the Argentine way of thinking for example. By destroying their industry, the farmers prove that it was valuable, resulting in a destroyed industry.
On the other hand, protests like this are going on all over the world these days and it's yet another sign of the times. Everyone everywhere is pissed off. Get used to it because this is just the start. The delayed reaction of commodity crazeness is going to really start hitting hard.

Well said Bill. My take is as long as they are banging pots and protesting peacefully, todo bien. If things turn ugly, then that's another thing.

Definetly not as one thing about Argentines is that they love to shout but they very rarely pull the trigger. This will blow over soon as most crisis do here . There will be no huge problems as stated by some and I beleive no deaths will come out of his. There will be a compromise soon

What's happening now is not nearly as bad as what went on a few years ago - when De La Rua resigned, the peso was devalued and the country was plunged into chaos. Argentina has a long history of instability. What's happening now is a mere annoyance compared to the events of the military dictatorships, the various political and economic crises, etc. Anyone who comes to live here needs to be flexible, willing and prepared to roll with the punches. If you can't handle what's happening now you shouldn't have come in the first place.

NO, I think is time to find new locations far away of the Capitol craziness, let me recommend Mendoza, and let me give you some good reasons:, Mendoza has Puerto seco, means an open port to commerce with CHILE since 1985, second we produce our 90 % of the products, third we, receive a very important influence of money from Tourism year around( majority from Europe), Three good reasons to consider to move to Mendoza or check out some other places in patagonia.
not to mention WINE,ACONCAGUA or CONCERTS OR SPORTS
Im not selling any service, just a different life style, in Mendoza.
http://mendozaconnection.blogspot.com/

To Soulskier,

Cuidado! Is that in reference to BA or vivia's selling of Mendoza? Cuz I'm actually starting to get pretty keen on the idea of checking Patagonia out, Mendoza included.
I've actually tried to view your livinginpatagonia website numerous times and it never works. Does it still exist? Thanks

- James

"soulskier" said:
Our site is working just fine, http://www.livinginpatagonia.com/. I wonder if it is something internally.
Sorry for going off the subject, but there is something wrong with your website. Look at this trace route I ran on your website after attempting to view it, and I couldn't...Tracing route to livinginpatagonia.com [217.112.82.20]...

hop
rtt
rtt
rtt

ip address
fully qualified domain name

vl1.dsr01.dllstx5.theplanet.com

po51.dsr01.dllstx3.theplanet.com

et3-1.ibr03.dllstx3.theplanet.com

xe-4-4.r03.dllstx09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net

as-1.r21.asbnva01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net

as-0.r21.nycmny01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net

ae-0.r20.nycmny01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net

as-1.r22.londen03.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net

xe-3-1.r00.londen03.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net

Also a service scan reveals the following:
FTP - 21220 WebHosting FTP Server Ready

SMTP - 25Error: TimedOut

HTTP - 80Error: TimedOut

POP3 - 110+OK Hello there.

IMAP - 143*
OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION
STARTTLS] Courier-IMAP ready.

As you can see, your web server is down because I can even bring up a webpage using your domain name IP address of
217.112.82.20. Contact your tech support at webhosting.uk.com as to why people can't reach your website. It may be DNS related.

Back