Real estate questions

As far as we know the transaction is carried in US$ cash, bill counting machines are provided and suitcases for the bills must be provided.BYOS..
A lady I met sold a property and was driving away with her son , 20 blocks later at a Traffic light was robbed at gun point.. 2017 in Recoleta.
Than happened so often that now real estate sales close inside banks, in special conference rooms reserved ahead. Once the buyer, seller, and "escribano" are present, the dollars are brought up from the vault, counted by machine, and handed to the seller. Easy and safe.

Last edited:
Hello. During normal times, it is easy to negotiate at least 10% of the sale amount. Most people here buy with cash. I always thought that it was a good idea to buy from "el pozo" from the most famous companies that had building construction projects with a down payment and installments (i.e. JUSTEVILA https://www.justevila.com.ar). At present all construction projects stopped and nothing going on can be called "normal". Check out middle income neighbourhoods like Caballito, Almagro, Villa Crespo, etc. Once you're here, the real estate and local banks will guide you as to how to make the transfers from your Canadian account, I guess you could make the wire transfer online at the time of the property sale. Banking regulations and laws here tend to change often. Mar del Plata is not what used to be in the past. I suggest that you make some trips and see for yourself before you retire and check out building projects, neighbourhoods and visit buildings. You may walk around in a neighborhood of your choice and ask around, and if your are lucky, you might find somebody who's desperate to sell his/her home in a hurry. I am a local like you who returned to Buenos Aires after several decades and found a whole new world going on.

Back