REAL Volunteering

CedarPawn

Registered
I know this topic has popped up in various forms, but I'd be interested in fresh perspectives from those who are inclined to put them forward. Specifically, I'm wondering if there's any sort of volunteer work around town that isn't some bs internship for college kids or peace corps type hippiefest. I see people suffering and I'd like to help, and I'm not interested in some resume bullet point, meeting people, or improving my Spanish. If anyone's aware of a RESULTS oriented organization, I'd be grateful for a point in the right direction.

CedarPawn said:
I know this topic has popped up in various forms, but I'd be interested in fresh perspectives from those who are inclined to put them forward. Specifically, I'm wondering if there's any sort of volunteer work around town that isn't some bs internship for college kids or peace corps type hippiefest. I see people suffering and I'd like to help, and I'm not interested in some resume bullet point, meeting people, or improving my Spanish. If anyone's aware of a RESULTS oriented organization, I'd be grateful for a point in the right direction.

Try the Red Solidaria. I've often seen them in the city offering food or hot coffee, especially on cold nights in the city's plazas. Techo Para Mi Pais is another one.

You might also want to scroll through the City of Buenos Aires website. Last night I saw them pulled over on Corrientes talking with some homeless people. It appeared to me that they were a) offering food/coffee or b) offering to bring them to some shelter. It was across the street, so I can't be sure. I'm assuming the city has a program in place.

The other alternative would be to go it solo. Buy a thermos, fill it with coffee, make mini dinners (sandwiches, etc.), and give them to people who are sleeping on the sidewalks. You could also buy bottled water and offer it to the cartoneros on the street. This is essentially what the Red Solidaria does. Maybe you could volunteer your time to teach English. Prepare lessons, offer them on Craigslist, and undoubtedly people will take you up on the offer.

I second un techo para mi pais...great organisation that do a lot of amazing work all over the country. Generally, their regular volunteers are student-age but I think their builds attract people of all ages and you get to work side-by-side with the families benefiting from the project.
I think a lot of general outreach work here is also done by Church groups so you could ask at a local church or at a local "comedor". There is one near to where I live near Maure and Cordoba (Chacarita) but I am sure there are others all over the place.
Also, since my cat went missing a few weeks ago, I've been in touch with a tonne of organisations that help the stray animal populations here (Protectora Sarmiento is one thats always looking for people to help look after the animals in its shelter, do dog-walking, etc). If animals interest you, PM me and I'll send you links to the others.
xx

This is from a few months ago but you could probably contact them and ask if you can still get on board.

La Casa Ronald McDonald de Bs. As. en colaboración con el Hospital Italiano y la Sala de Padres dentro del Hospital Garrahan se encuentran en la búsqueda de nuevos voluntarios para cubrir turnos de 3 hs x semana, siendo las tareas colaborar con el funcionamiento de la Casa y la Sala, las cuales brindan a las familias alojamiento y contención para que puedan transitar el tratamiento médico prolongado de sus hijos, durante el tiempo que están lejos de sus hogares.

Para los interesados en sumarse a nuestra misión, estaremos brindando una reunión informativa el 9 de marzo en Tte. Gral Juan D. Perón 3960 a las 16hs. Para inscribirse por favor escribir a [email protected] o llamar al 011-4982-5604.

Te esperamos! Tu colaboración puede hacer la diferencia en la salud de miles de niños.

1) Walk along ANY avenue and you'll see sick people with no money to pay for their meds. If elderly or obviously sick (like bald women) just give them cash.

2) Walk along ANY avenue and you'll see needy kids and even families parked in small porches or steps along the street. Buy them bananas and milk.

3) If you don't like walking, pick your own and your neighbors' unused pieces of cloth, anything from mattresses to shirts, and either give them directly to an elederly person living in the streets, or to the closest church (Caritas). Disco supermarkets usually have the same Caritas baskets so you don't HAVE to step into a church if you don't want to.

Try to avoid organized charity and for the love of god don't give any government run organization a dime of your cash or a sec of your time.

If you don't want to give material stuff, go to the MALBA or Paseo Alcorta. There you'll have the chance to impart lessons of language or/and math to the children of the villa under supervision of private security. Of course I'm talking about the steps of those places, nothing organized, just a safe place where both worlds meet.

There is a part of the Torah that states that one should't harvest the edges of one's plot as to leave food for the travelers.

Anyway, just wanted to share this:

Levels of Tzedakah

Certain kinds of tzedakah are considered more meritorious than others. The Talmud describes these different levels of tzedakah, and Rambam organized them into a list. The levels of charity, from the least meritorious to the most meritorious, are:

Giving begrudgingly
Giving less that you should, but giving it cheerfully.
Giving after being asked
Giving before being asked
Giving when you do not know the recipient's identity, but the recipient knows your identity
Giving when you know the recipient's identity, but the recipient doesn't know your identity
Giving when neither party knows the other's identity
Enabling the recipient to become self-reliant

I still recommend you help directly so you can be 100% sure that the help is reaching its destination. However I'm now remembering one organization that's famous for teaching men how to fish; at least that's what I've heard from many old ladies.
It's got a really good reputation here:

http://www.cottolengodonorione.org.ar/

Back