Realistic to Move to Argentina and Live Off Investments?

oddDistribution

Registered
I've been doing some research online and on this site, but I'm still not 100 percent clear on this.

If I have enough in investments to support myself indefinitely, but not a passive income pension, is there a path that I could take to live in Argentina long term? It sounds like some people just overstay their visa or do boarder runs, but I'm not sure if that would work long term.

If it's not possible I can focus on somewhere else.

Thanks!

Simplifying greatly, but to answer your question in the broad terms you present it, you can apply for a temporary (12-month) residency as a "Rentista" if you can demonstrate to the Argentine authorities you have passive income from investments that pay you in the vicinity of (currently) US$1,800 per month (could be a bit more or a bit less in the future depending on how exchange rates and Argentine salary rates move). You can renew that 12-month temporary residency twice and doing so then qualifies you for permanent residency.

Do more looking around on this website. There are a number of recent threads on the topic of the "Rentista" immigration category.

Navigating PR or citizenship without a competent attorney is like going to a gunfight with a nerf knife ...... the professional service is not unrealistically expensive and gets the job done much quicker and easier ..... talk to an attorney..... not laymen that have been fumbling through the system for a considerable amount of time, causing confusion, and accomplishing nothing but frustration because they have no idea what they are doing ........ retain a sherpa

Simplifying greatly, but to answer your question in the broad terms you present it, you can apply for a temporary (12-month) residency as a "Rentista" if you can demonstrate to the Argentine authorities you have passive income from investments that pay you in the vicinity of (currently) US$1,800 per month (could be a bit more or a bit less in the future depending on how exchange rates and Argentine salary rates move). You can renew that 12-month temporary residency twice and doing so then qualifies you for permanent residency.

Do more looking around on this website. There are a number of recent threads on the topic of the "Rentista" immigration category.

Thank you for your reply. That's really helpful to know that it is possible, even if not guaranteed.

I'm going to contact an attorney as @zensailor mentioned. I don't mind spending some money if that's what I need to do. My other concern is around wealth taxes, but the lawyer can probably answer those questions as well.

Navigating PR or citizenship without a competent attorney is like going to a gunfight with a nerf knife ...... the professional service is not unrealistically expensive and gets the job done much quicker and easier ..... talk to an attorney..... not laymen that have been fumbling through the system for a considerable amount of time, causing confusion, and accomplishing nothing but frustration because they have no idea what they are doing ........ retain a sherpa
Thank you for your reply. I'm going to contact an attorney today.

Sorry, one more question. Is there an attorney you could recommend?

Sorry, one more question. Is there an attorney you could recommend

I will contact the attorney I used and get back to you ..... he was professional, affordable, and delivered quick results ....give me a bit as I am ''out of pocket'' right now...... good luck

My other concern is around wealth taxes, but the lawyer can probably answer those questions as well.
You are right to be concerned. It's an issue, particularly in the immigration category you are looking at. Controversial on this website. Again, spend some time digging around here. There are plenty of threads dating back to January 2020, when the law changed.

You will need an accountant rather than your immigration lawyer to be fully informed on this point.

They are constantly changing the requirements, for no apparent reason, and without warning.
So if you want predictability, you may not be happy.
I always tell people- move to Argentina if you love Argentina.
Not because you heard it was cheap.
Sometimes its cheap, sometimes its not.
It has a lot of its own unique charms, and if you love it, its worth the vagueries of the system.
There is always a way to do almost anything here, but its seldom obvious, simple, or easy. It requires work, talking to people, and perseverence.
For me, there is no question its worth it.
But a lot of people dont think so.

You are right to be concerned. It's an issue, particularly in the immigration category you are looking at. Controversial on this website. Again, spend some time digging around here. There are plenty of threads dating back to January 2020, when the law changed.

You will need an accountant rather than your immigration lawyer to be fully informed on this point.

Thank you for your reply. That makes sense. Do you happen to know a good accountant? If the wealth tax outcome is not good for me then I don't think I can afford to live in Argentina :(

Back