Reasons for getting out of the USA

bigbadwolf

Registered
An amusing essay here:

There are millions of Americans just like me living outside the United States. Living lives much more fulfilling, peaceful, free and abundant than we ever could have attained back home. Some of us happened upon these lives by accident – we tried a year abroad and found that we liked it – others made a conscious decision to pack up and leave for good. You’ll find us in Canada, all over Europe, in many parts of Asia, in Australia and New Zealand, and in most other countries of the globe.

I would say hilarious, not just amusing. Check out this:

"In fact, the average Australian or Singaporean taxi driver has a much better standard of living than the typical American white-collar worker."

:D:D:D..!

SaraSara said:
I would say hilarious, not just amusing. Check out this:

"In fact, the average Australian or Singaporean taxi driver has a much better standard of living than the typical American white-collar worker."

:D:D:D..!

Maybe less stressed (health care, job security, etc.) but not sure about the standard of living part.

Something the author fails to notice is that the US is forever trying to find ways to keep would-be immigrants OUT. Green cards have become impossible dreams, and even tourist visas are hard to get - too many "tourists" choose to stay in the US even without papers.

There must be an awful lot of masochists out there.

bbwolf,
I would be interested on reading about your own experiences. The essay to which you linked is factually flawed and so over the top as to call into question the emotional stability of the author ...or anyone who touts it worth reading.

darmanad said:
bbwolf,
I would be interested on reading about your own experiences. The essay to which you linked is factually flawed and so over the top as to call into question the emotional stability of the author ...or anyone who touts it worth reading.

It is over the top. But some of his points are valid. Health care is the number one cause of personal bankruptcy in the US. Food quality tends to be more compromised in the US. Holidays for working people tend to be fewer. Job security is less. College education is expensive. Some of what he's saying, on the other hand, is pure garbage -- 70% of the tax dollar does not go the Pentagon.

I would argue that quality of life is higher in Western Europe. But then, on the other hand, people can afford bigger houses and bigger cars in the USA. So one might argue that standard of living is higher in the USA. I personally prefer Europe for reasons of security and cultural affinity. But I wouldn't try to persuade anyone. I introduced the topic because many expats in Argentina are from the USA who are seeking greener pastures.

Very few of the expats that post on this board are here for the long-term and those I know that are here are usually here for love or family. If they were expatriating to make money and seek greener economic pastures, I doubt Argentina would be at the top of the list for destinations.

(Again, I'm talking long-term, "real" expats, not those that are here to spend a year on vacation.)

Back