Recent College Grad Moving To Buenos Aires

sandryk

Registered
Hello, I am graduating from the University of Wisconsin, Madison in May and am planning to move to Buenos Aires, Argentina this September. I have already lived there for a year and am very familiar with the Porteño way of life and Argentine culture. Although certain topics are a little more difficult for me to discuss in Spanish, I would say I am fluent. My degree is in Spanish and International Studies with a certificate in Arabic. I fell in love with the city while living there and am doing everything I can to try and move back. I am aware of the many struggles and challenges with respect to moving abroad and especially to a country like Argentina. I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions of potential entry level jobs or good places to get started in Buenos Aires? My plan is to have something somewhat lined up before returning in September instead of just moving back with no game plan. Any suggestions are super helpful as well as things to be aware of that aren't so obvious while trying to move permanently to Argentina. I am very happy to have stumbled across this website and I truly appreciate all of the help!! Mil gracias! :D

Hey! I did something similar and moved here slightly after graduating :)
The one thing I would say is that it's very uncommon for companies here to hire sight unseen. Even international companies (there was a greenpeace job posted here a while back) specify that you need to actually be *in country* to apply. It makes it feel a little more tentative, knowing you have to come here and somewhat wing it, but unless you somehow manage to find a job with an American company who is sending you to BA specifically (which I'd rank as unlikely, though I'm no expert) I think you're better off coming to terms with the fact that you'll need to be here to find something, and spend the intervening time saving money to cover you in the interim.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. May I ask how that process went for you? How long did it take to find something and do you currently have a job pertaining to what you studied in ba? Just trying to get as much info and advice as possible before I come back! Thanks again!

What's the normal career track for international studies majors? Isn't it pretty much just the foreign service? Have you looked into that?

Is there a reason you're dead set on Buenos Aires, you never know you might fall in love with another city as well.

Also have you reached out to your school's job placement department and or alumni association? That's what they're there for after all.

Yes I have looked into getting involved in the Foreign Service but don't quite think it would be for me. I chose to major in International Studies when I was a Sophomore because at the time I was not sure of what kind of career I wanted but knew that I loved learning about other countries, history and foreign policy. While I do not regret what I chose to study I feel as though it does not pertain to what I would like to do. Although it sounds broad, my personality and skill set is more orientated to a career in marketing, tourism, advertising etc something along those lines rather than working in the foreign service field. After having lived and studied in Buenos Aires for a year I really adapted to the culture and felt like everything was cut short upon returning to the U.S. I know the city, and I have many friends and a second family there but have no connections with regards to a job.

Also I have been meeting with them weekly but as you can imagine they are only helpful to a certain extent. They recommended that I try to network and connect with as many people as possible before going down as well as with other fellow Yankees who have moved to Argentina and formed a career there. My plan is to move back and in the occasion that I cannot find work or feel liked I am lacking certain skills then I would consider going for a Masters.

I'm basically just trying to talk to other people from the United States or even other countries who have made careers in Argentina and get advice from them, and hear their stories about how they made it work out. Argentina is definitely not the most desirable country to find work in at the moment but I still feel as though there are many opportunities available. Thanks again for your comments they are much appreciated!

Awesome, thanks for the advice. May I ask how that process went for you? How long did it take to find something and do you currently have a job pertaining to what you studied in ba? Just trying to get as much info and advice as possible before I come back! Thanks again!

Yeah, I have a job which I got about 5 months after arriving - that said, I didn't look for a job till about March (got here in November) and got a call for an interview about a week after starting to look. YMMV depending on what you're looking for and how wedded you are to doing something related to your studies/with high social cred in NortAm. Think of this as a chance to do things you might not otherwise - if you wanted to get a job tied to your studies, you could stay in the US. You are dependent on your employer to help you regularize your status here (unless you get married or have other family), and are generally in a different situation simply by being foreign. I studied philosophy so it's not like I expected to get a job "in my field" haha, and I currently do english language editing for a US company with an office here. Basically, abandon your ideas of your financial worth/your field/anything you feel you are entitled to. This isn't to say you should accept a pittance or terrible working conditions, but it may be difficult to find work and/or to find work you want. Flexibility is the best thing you can bring with you. And again, can't emphasize enough how much of a difference it makes here to be able to speak face to face. Argentina is a place where your weird republican uncle's advice about "going door to door with your resume and making connections" might actually pay off.

Thank you probablynot! Those months from November to March must have been filled with mucha joda haha. I am definitely flexible and willing to work in a career that has nothing to do with my major. I know I will not be making much at all compared to a salary here in the U.S, but that is fine, having a lot of money is not important to me, just the fact that I will be living there again is enough for me. I appreciate the response and enjoyed hearing about how you figured out a job there, definitely gives me some reassurance! Seguimos en contacto, abrazo!

Hello,

I have been looking for work for the past 2 weeks and I haven't had much luck. If you're looking to work as soon as possible; I would recommend contacting language institutes and consider teaching English until you find something else.

If you have the time and money you could consider certifying yourself in teaching English; it would help you get hired faster and you could make more money.

Good luck!

Back