Recommended neighborhoods and prices

kevinscott

Registered
Hi all, I'll be in BA from January - May. I have housing secured for January through a school but am looking to sublet in February.

First question: which neighborhoods should I look at as an American expat? If you're familiar w the States, places I've lived and loved include Logan sq in Chicago, Williamsburg (Brooklyn) and the east side of Austin. I like being close to lots of bars and coffee shops.

Second question: what are reasonable price ranges for those neighborhoods? For a single room in an apartment?

Gracias!

Kevin

Hey guys, looks like this question has been asked previously in the forum. Sorry for the dupe.

Nonetheless, I'd be interested in up to date price info. I'm looking to sublet a furnished room with 1 or 2 other people. Sounds like Palermo is a good place to look, from what I can tell. What kind of $$$ should I expect to pay?

Thanks!

Kevin

I've lived in Williamsburg too as a student. Go for Boedo, San Telmo or Almagro. Palermo Viejo maybe, but not sure

If those are the neighborhoods you like, definitely don't live in Palermo. I agree with San Telmo or Almagro, more San Telmo though because there are a ton of bars, coffee shops and restaurants. If you actually live in San Telmo proper you can walk to all of them. It's a small barrio. Don't let others fool you, there is a TON of nightlife/interesting stuff to do outside of Palermo.

For a single room in a very basic furnished shared apartment with 2+ other people in San Telmo, you can expect to pay around U.S. $400 per month, all expenses included.

I'd look in Villa Crespo. Lots of ethnic restaurants, a young people up and coming barrio.

I always pegged San Telmo as the Williamsburg of Buenos Aires, but I think I was drunk when I came up with that.

I really love Almagro, but there's not much to do in terms of nightlife and not many good places to eat.

Well, alcohol tends to reveal deeper truths. So that sounds legit to me. And $400 is right in my price range.

In the States I've always used Craigslist to find sublets. Is Craigslist big in Buenos Aires, or is there some local apartment board folks use?

Palermo Viejo is pretty great - esp on the other side of Scalabrini Ortiz - and really, the only difference btw it and much of Almagro is which side of Cordoba it is. Either to me have a great vibe with the proximity to Palermo Soho & Palermo Hollywood that are ideal for a newcomer. Yes, those are tourist-central, but they are also expat-central and where a lot of events will be if you are looking to socialize. For the increase in rent you may pay, you'll be able to avoid expensive cab rides all the way across town.

I do love San Telmo however especially during the summer months, the distance to Palermo is pretty significant (esp as I just saw in your other thread that you'd like to cowork out of somewhere like Urban Station - at least I think it was you). To me Almagro represents the best of both worlds.

kevinscott said:
In the States I've always used Craigslist to find sublets. Is Craigslist big in Buenos Aires, or is there some local apartment board folks use?

I've found both of my apartments on craigslist, though there's a lot of overpriced crap on there. Check the couchsurfing housing group too for open rooms.

Back