recommended reading

rivardco

Registered
looking for good reading that gives a history and a current perspective of Argentina. I am not opposed to fiction, but would rather more direct and purposeful recommendations.

Gracias

Try "A Short History of The Argentines" by Felix Luna. Gives an excellent overview of how things were shaped up to the sixties. Very easy to read and informative.
Available in English ISBN 987-580-152-6

I highly recommend Facundo by Domingo Sarmiento, a really really good read, and more or less half fiction half non fiction like 'based on true events.' I believe he wrote it whne he was in exile in Chile during the Rosas years because it was totally anti-Rosas lol. Real piece of history in that read, if I hadn't read it like twice I would want to read it again!

rivarco, you didnt specify english or spanish.

I highly recommend Facundo by Domingo Sarmiento, a really really good read, and more or less half fiction half non fiction like 'based on true events.' I believe he wrote it whne he was in exile in Chile during the Rosas years because it was totally anti-Rosas lol. Real piece of history in that read, if I hadn't read it like twice I would want to read it again!
Indeed Facundo is one of the main pillars of Argentine and Latin American literature. Tough it won't be fully appreciated or even understood by someone who doesn't have a minimal knowledge of Argentine XIX century history.
It is however essential to understand the Argentine character. For example, you'll be surprise to learn that the infamous Argentine arrogance was already famous back in 1845.:D

Is not that the book is fiction, but many of his facts are just wrong as the book was indeed written while Sarmiento was exiled in Chile.

other books you may enjoy are:

"La cabeza de goliat" by Ezequiel Martinez Estrada.

Its a book about Buenos Aires, no story just thoughts and anecdotes about the everyday life and general aspects of the city. But is not a travel book, its extremely critic (BA being goliath's head sucking the life of the country) and pessimistic. I'm sure more than one of the posters here would totally identify with Martinez Estrada's view.:D

"Aguasfuertes porteñas" by Roberto Arlt.

Also about the everyday life of the city (in the 1920s). Roberto Arlt is one of the best writters Argentina had. You can also check some of his fiction like the classic "Los siete locos".

Two that I can recommend in English are:

The Argentina Reader - Edited by Gabriela Nouzeilles and Graciela Montaldo. This is a collection of essays, articles, songs and more, which gets to the heart of Argentina across the ages. ISBN 978 0 8223 2914 5

The History of Argentina - Daniel K Lewis. This is a very readable history of the nation up to 2001, not totally up to date, but what history book ever is - as soon as its printed its dated! ISBN 1 4039 6254 5

Both of these can be bought from Amazon, if you can manage the delivery!

I recommend "The Ministry of Special Cases" by Nathan Englander. The book offers an account of a Jewish couple whose son is disappeared during the 1976-1983 dictatorship. While fictional, the book is written by an Argentine-American, and provides an excellent portrait of life during the dictatorship specifcally, and Argentine cultural/mass psychology generally. I now recommend this novel to my students who come here for internships.

~ Jenn

Just adding a comment to JennPiscopo's recommendation: I finished reading "The Ministry of Special Cases" last night. It is a sad story but provides an excellent insight into recent history as well as a hypothesis why Argentines do not trust politicians.

Santi

Back