Recycling Bins

PhilipDT

Registered
I'm currently sitting on a bench in the station Peru of the A line and I just watched a member of the cleaning crew dump the contents of one of the green recycling bins into the trash bin before emptying the bag.

I'm currently sitting on a bench in the station Peru of the A line and I just watched a member of the cleaning crew dump the contents of one of the green recycling bins into the trash bin before emptying the bag.

It's the thought that counts.

Aw if you had caught it on film and gotten it somehow on the news maybe you could've gotten them to actually recycle them in the future!

That reminds me of those trashbins which were installed around 2003/2005 (?).
The opening mechanism was at the bottom and since the locks did not function too well (or maybe was it vandalism), what you put inside would fall on the sidewalk.

They disappeared around 2009 (?). So much money spent for nothing, lol

I have one near my place
I went there washed the items deposited etc and then saw the back door open with huge bags of all kinds of trash so I gave up!
Even in Prague where we have them, many just throw any trash into them(due to the fact that we have PAID 2 weekly trash pick up and one is charged per container of trash so they are saving money by doing that!)
In Japan neighbours tell on you if you dont recycle I dont want that extreme but how about something in between? Ojala pero lo dudo mucho:(

In Japan neighbours tell on you if you dont recycle I dont want that extreme but how about something in between? Ojala pero lo dudo mucho:(

I`ve read people back home in the UK being fined by local authorities because they were not putting out rubbish for recycling. It is hard work keeping everything separate and in the correct bag for the correct day of collection, but there is a sense you`re doing something to help. Its quite a shock coming to Argentina and you just throw everything into the same bin, apart from beer bottles though. They do that right here, now just need to ban plastic water bottles next and replace them with recyclable glass bottles.

I`ve read people back home in the UK being fined by local authorities because they were not putting out rubbish for recycling. It is hard work keeping everything separate and in the correct bag for the correct day of collection, but there is a sense you`re doing something to help. Its quite a shock coming to Argentina and you just throw everything into the same bin, apart from beer bottles though. They do that right here, now just need to ban plastic water bottles next and replace them with recyclable glass bottles.

Is not that hard in the UK, you just have 3-4 bins in your kitchen and put stuff in as you use it, then stick the bucket out for it to be emptied by the council.

The fact that practically every building in BA has a portero should mean that this shit should be easier and done properly. I.E. stick the stuff into proper buckets / bags and dump them in the trash room then the portero puts out the correct bag on the correct day etc.

Of course this is Argentina...... :lol:

In California, our house has one bin for garbage, one bin for compostable food waste and garden cuttings, and one for glass, paper and plastic recyclables. It's not foolproof - people do put things in the wrong bin, and apartment buildings are more complex - but it works pretty well.

In Palermo, I try to pass on newspapers and other recyclable items directly to cartoneros. Ideally they would have other career options, but at least there are fewer broken trash bags on the sidewalk.

Is not that hard in the UK, you just have 3-4 bins in your kitchen and put stuff in as you use it, then stick the bucket out for it to be emptied by the council.

The fact that practically every building in BA has a portero should mean that this shit should be easier and done properly. I.E. stick the stuff into proper buckets / bags and dump them in the trash room then the portero puts out the correct bag on the correct day etc.

Of course this is Argentina...... :lol:

It should be easy, but our particular council decided we`d need a large brown box for food waste, a black box for bottles , a green box for cardboard, a clear bag for newspapers. Then they collect the brown box and black box on tuesdays and the other stuff on thursdays. And when you have a family of four you have alot of different boxes and bags and have to remember which night before to put them out because they collect them at some ungodly hour in the morning.

Back