Red Velvet Cake Filling Ideas

AngelinBA

Registered
When we were in the States we tried Red Velvet cake for the first time. It was so good! Anyway, I wanted to make some as a surprise for my husband. On this forum, we have discussed at great length the lack of cream cheese in BA so the normal filling appears to be out. So, to those who are in the know, what could I use as a replacement? Whipped cream would be almost too light and maybe too sweet if I make it how my husband likes. Any suggestions? Or is it a sacrilege to make it without the cream cheese filling?

"what could I use as a replacement? Any suggestions?"

ricotta, mascarpone, equal parts yogurt and ricotta, tofu....i do believe cream cheese is available at the cheese and grocery stores. i think that they call it something else, but my friend buys it all the time from the cheese store.

amy

There are some good cream cheese options around. You can find Philadelphia but it could be pricey. Tregar's cream cheese is much cheaper and it has the same taste
make sure it's this one -->
11435.jpg

You can get Philadelphia cream cheese in Jumbo. Its the same.

I like goat's cheese frosting on a cake made with beets and almond flour, but that may be a little California! Franco Parma have a good creamy goat's cheese that works well for this.

Here's a more traditional one - calls for 2 packages of Philadelphia, so you can scale it up or down accordingly:

448 g cream cheese, softened
115 g butter, softened
250 g sifted confectioners' sugar
5 ml vanilla extract

Home-made yogurt cheese (let it strain for a very long time - a couple of days maybe) works well with the above recipe and is healthier, plus you can use the probiotics of your choice.

I've been using Serenisima's FINLANDIA CLASICO in place of cream cheese for almost ten years now, for desserts (notably carrot cake frosting) as well as dips and toppings (re baked potatoes, etc). The texture may not be as fine as Philly, but the taste is terrific.

I've been using Serenisima's FINLANDIA CLASICO in place of cream cheese for almost ten years now, for desserts (notably carrot cake frosting) as well as dips and toppings (re baked potatoes, etc). The texture may not be as fine as Philly, but the taste is terrific.

Try mixing in a little whip cream or plain yogurt with the finlandia (fold it in with a spatula), it will give it a bit more of the smoothness you are looking for.

Try mixing in a little whip cream or plain yogurt with the finlandia (fold it in with a spatula), it will give it a bit more of the smoothness you are looking for.

Thanks, Syngirl, I'll definitely try this next time I use Finlandia!

They usually have Philly, a few flavors in fact, at the easterly Casa China, lots of Chinos around my house (Recoleta), larger supermarkets etc. It's usually with the butter and things like that, not with the cheese. Becoming increasingly normal these days both in boxes and in tubs.

Back