Refrigerator recommendations?

oaktown

Registered
We have to buy a refrigerator for our new place and I’m feeling clueless about which brands are good here. Even when it comes to brands I recognize from the US, the models here are often different and even the same models may be of differing quality. We don’t want something super fancy but we don’t want to throw away money on junk. I had a Patrick that I hated when I was here about 15 years ago, but that was 15 years ago ....Anyone love their fridge? Or have advice about brands/models to avoid?

We have to buy a refrigerator for our new place and I’m feeling clueless about which brands are good here. Even when it comes to brands I recognize from the US, the models here are often different and even the same models may be of differing quality. We don’t want something super fancy but we don’t want to throw away money on junk. I had a Patrick that I hated when I was here about 15 years ago, but that was 15 years ago ....Anyone love their fridge? Or have advice about brands/models to avoid?
I don't have a refrigerator to recommend but highly recommend you pay attention to and know the power useage of the one you choose. Apart from A/C and electric heat they're a major user of electricity. I figure the Coventry brand that's in my apartment must be adding over 1,500 pesos a month to my Edelsur bill.

We have a six year old Whirlpool whose plaqueta (circuit board, I guess) we've just had to replace. The part itself cost only 50 bucks and our encargado put it in for free. A reputable repair company was going to charge me 200 bucks (with the part included). A couple of times since it has stopped cooling for a few hours, so I'm not sure the problem has really been fixed. All that is to say I would think twice about buying another Whirlpool.

I bought a Columbia refrigerator in 2014 and so far it's been working great.

Ribeiro has good offers with installments. Make sure has no frost freezer ..GE maybe a good choice

We got a big Whirlpool (American reg size) fridge ordered from BA. Been working well.

Our 10kg whirlpool clothes washer is a POS that just about self destructs every time it goes into spin cycle.

My 12 year old whirlpool is still chugging away. I think when it pukes, though, I am going to get a SIAM, but I am a supporter of Industria Argentina, and SIAM made the first national heladeras, back before the second world war, as well as making cars, scooters, trucks, gas pumps, helado making machines, pastry equipment, and tons of other machines that are reliable and continue to work after decades.
I sometimes go to a cafe (El Motivo) where they keep their drinks in 2 Bolitas- SIAM fridges from somewhere between 1935 and 1960, when that model was discontinued.

I have had for a year a Samsung refrigerator with DC inverter technology. Efficient and no issues

Recently, my 2005 Samsung went belly up. I did some research and found out that most repair services call centers work as a pool and do not have their own technicians, they´re just a service. Pretty much like the radio taxis. None convinced me. Called Samsung 0800 and the rep denied the model even existed. Found my own fridge expert that told me the model was too old to repair since once fixed something else would likely break in a short period of time. Once the grit is removed... End of story for the fridge.

Then I researched another board in the US and many agreed current production SAMSUNG fridges and their CS was a gamble. Odds against you.

Now with the virus hurting electronics and amost all levels of industrial production worldwide because a shortage of chinese components , I would not go for a foreign made products. Just to be on the safe side.

Just google the local home electronic and consumer local boards for reviews.

Iz

15 years is a long long time for a modern fridge. If you took the average 1965 price of a simple, but sturdy fridge, it would be maybe 3000 dollars in todays dollars. People in Argentina dont want to pay 3k, so every manufacturer has made them cheaper, simpler, and with a lot more plastic parts. Its not uncommon, in the US today, for a fancy fridge to cost $10k USD.
I think if you buy a realativel cheap- 50,000 peso Samsung at Fra Vega, getting ten years out it is doing well. You want quality, you have to pay for it. And most people here cant afford to pay for what would even be considered a midrange fridge in the USA- a Samsung, say, would cost maybe 210,000 pesos in the USA, and, if its imported to Argentina, probably closer to 300,000 pesos. And getting ten years out of one of those is still pretty good.

Back