Refrigerator recommendations?

I needed a new refrigerator, and asked my trusted repair shop which one was the most trouble-free. They told me to stay away from frost-free styles - "frio seco"- and buy a sturdier cyclic "frio humedo" instead. Got one three years ago and haven't had to defrost it yet.

They also said most refrigerators are manufactured in the same plants, then marketed under different brands. So, within a certain price range, they were all the same.

Having said that, it is worth going to Fravega or Garbarino and checking fridges' internal layouts - some of the ones I looked at had flimsy plastic shelves and drawers.

I have had Whirlpool, Patrick, and Siam units, no problems over periods of 4 years each

In Rentals apts. always the landlord bought fridges from Garbarino or Fravega, 12 months payments no interest, Free Delivery in CABA, what's on Sale, with discount..!
I would stay away from Ciclico and purchase no-frost..!! Always double door!

I usually like going to Rodo in Boedo, where they have a great variety of refrigerators and home appliances displayed and and prices to choose from.

They also said most refrigerators are manufactured in the same plants, then marketed under different brands. So, within a certain price range, they were all the same.
Very good point.

I do that with most electric/electronic items made -read assembled- locally. Industria Naciomal (born bad) I call it.

Go to Fravega, etc and look at the back of the units and you'll notice many models and brands suddenly become the exact same.
Did it recently with fridge and years ago with VCRs. Different prices, same specs, same unit.

Had forgotten about that »not so small« detail.

Iz

For what it's worth, I'd also say Samsung with inverter is the way forward. The build quality is way better than 90% of the competition, as is the engineering (at least for the mid/high end products) . Go into a place where they have models on display and have some hands on time, you'll see what I mean.

Good Luck!

To possibly get the lowest price on the model you select, compare prices and look for sales on Mercadolibre.

MercadoLibre was $7000 cheaper than Garbarino's "Special Offer One Day Only Sale"

Free delivery, too.

When I moved in I bought he cheapest Patrick fridge. I don't know who or how, but the freezer compartment door was broken and the main door also got broken. I patched it up and still carried on using it. I got eleven years of use from it. I have now replaced it with a Gafa.
My only advice would be to keep it simple; avoid any fancy technology, invertors micro processors anything that you cannot fix with a screwdriver, and check the basic structure. Normal fridge electrics normally do not fail. it is the cheap plastics that will.

Back