Regulation on Fire Prevention/Protection

Lobo Marino

Registered
Hello,

did anyone of you on here make some experience with Argentine regulations on fire protection/fire prevention in apartment buildings?

I have bought a new apartment in Mar del Plata about a year ago. While the construction was not 100% completed at this time I was not too much concerned about not seeing any Fire Protection equipment in the building (extinguishers, hoses, smoke detectors, signs, etc). The building is relatively small with one apartment per floor (11 units) and two offices with separate entrances below. Since I am not full time in Argentina and the majority of the apartments seem to be occupied in the summer months only, I have made little contact with any of the co-propitarios so far. There is a building administration office taking care of maintenance and expenses [sporadically].

By now I have learned that Argentine constructions never seem to actually reach a 100% completion (95% at best), and I have serious doubts that anything will be done to improve the buildings safety. Also, Fire protection does not seem to be taken very seriously here, given the number of occasions I couldnt help noticing equipment being expired or out of their service period for years in any kind of public building. Since 10 months the administration keeps me waiting for the fire extinguisher I have requested to be installed in my palier and I am thinking of contracting a service firm myself.

Did anyone of you have similar problems in their buildings and how did you solve them? I now there should be regulations existing, but could not find any on the web so far... Any links would be appreciated.

I do not want to file a denuncia in any way since this would put me as a partial owner in complicated situation. I would rather prefer to find a way how to add pressure on the administration...

Any ideas?

La portena had similar problems in her apartment block. Her strategy was to go to each meeting and read out a list of what was deficient and needed attention, insist that this was recorded in the minutes of the meeting and and then to send a letter to every other flat owner to say that she had discharged her legal obligation and she held everyone else who did not vote with her to have the work carried out would be held personally responsible and financially liable in the event of accident etc. It took several months and lots of rudeness back but in the end they all backed down and agreed to spending money for a proper job. Call it intimidation if you like but its the porteno way. Start with something simple and obvious such as the regular signing off for the lift inspection that everyone can see when they use the lift and instead of preening themselves in the mirror they start to think about getting stuck! Once they get the message it becomes easier to deal with the bigger issues - like the electrics and the water system!

Thanks for sharing! We have not held any meeting so far, since most of the owners are seldomly present. All deficiencies and maintenance matters are usually dealt with by the administration, eventually. Hence my first step would be to get to them directly. I will be leaving soon for a couple of months, so I want to drop it on their desk before...

I would like to quote the applicable regulations - so any hints would be appreciated.

I am also unsure whether or not it would be possible to claim the missing installations at the building's developer - since I had reasons to trust the building would be completed in accordance to all local regulations after I bought the apartment.

A few rules they have to follow here in Capital;
- Every year a mandatory meeting of the consorcio (home owners association), which has to be announced at least 14 days in advance. Very important that you have the meeting... It is not mandatory for every owner to be present, but it is "smart"... Every consorcio also requires a president and at least a secretary as far as I know. But you can read that all in the bylaws of the consorcio which you should have received the moment you signed the title (escritura).
- The fire extinguishers need to be inspected every year (visually) and once every 3 or 5 years a mor thorough inspection
- All the new buildings in Capital where I have been, or have lived, an fire hose is present on every floor. Those need to be checked too every year
- No regulation regarding smoke detectors as far as I know...
- Exit signs are mandatory
- As far as I know signs telling you not to use the elevator in case of fire should be present too
- Non smoking sign should be present too.. (Not that anybody checks this!)

What is very important to know is if the water tank capacity is large enough. (I assume you have the tanks on top of the roof, if not it is not applicable to your situation) This because the tanks also function as initial fire fighting water supply.....

About the elevator; There should be a book available where the service company keeps a log of the inspections and repairs on the elevator. That is mandatory here in Capital, and I assume it is a federal law...

You say something about the administration taking care of the payment of the expenses sporadically. The reason that there is an administration involved is to ensure the consorcio's bills are paid in time etc.! If not, change the administration.... (Requires 2/3 majority vote as far as I know!)

Contracting a service company to do something in the building in the common areas is not a smart move, unless you are willing to pay everything yourself, and maybe even end up in problems with the other owners... Remember that you are only 1/11th owner of the common areas....

In my experience dealing with administrations is not easy since the majority are just very lazy and very unwilling to do anything for the owners if they can avoid it... Be prepared for a long "fight"....

Back