REMEMERANCE

jedard

Registered
I have been reading some issues here that really provoked something inside of me. Perhaps many of us might want to to read this as a reminder of how fortunate we are that come from a society rich with democracy and freedoms.
November 11 is REMEMERANCE DAY. Join with me on that day for 2 minutes of silence to reflect all of those ( regardless of whom, or where ) who served for a better life today and those who died for what we have today, none of which is to be taken for granted.
It is the VETERAN , not the preacher,

Who has given us freedom of religion.

It is the VETERAN , not the reporter,

Who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the VETERAN , not the poet,

Who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the VETERAN , not the campus organizer,

Who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is the VETERAN , not the lawyer,

Who has given us freedom of a fair trial.

It is the VETERAN , not the politician,

Who has given us freedom to vote.

It is the VETERAN ,

Who salutes the Flag,

It is the veteran ,

Who serves under the Flag,

ETERNAL REST GRANT THEM O LORD, AND LET PERPETUAL LIGHT SHINE UPON THEM.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
Fourth stanza of 'For the Fallen' by Laurence Binyon (1869 - 1943)
I think remeberance day is supposed to be about the fallen, not the veterans, but I get your point.

Remembrance Day is indeed in honor of the fallen. If I am not mistaken it is primarily celebrated in British Commonwealth countries. Many veterans take part in ceremonies to recall those who bravely served. I agree that we must never forget the great sacrifice made by so many, especially in the fight against Nazism. Freedom is indeed precious and we must never take it for granted - whether here in Argentina or in our on countries!

Back