Rent must be in Pesos?

Has anyone also heard of landlords who advertise in dollars, are willing to take pesos and take the official & unofficial exchange rates and average them?
For example in simple numbers: 4.5 + 6 = 10.5/2 = 5.25

My landlord is decent and honest. We made our original deal in dollars and at the end of the contract he let me know (offered to me without me asking) that I could pay in peso equivalent at the DolarHoy site's official rate and pay month by month.

I was so pleasantly surprised that he both allowed me to stay month to month without any contract and also that he was giving me the DolarHoy rate without even suggesting anything like blue dollar, that I didn't even mind the actual 28% increase in rent I got hit with, because that was after the 58% raise in rent in the actual dollar price (mitigated by the rate he was giving me on conversion).

There do exist very good, upright, honest people here.

Our landlord does a little better, 5:1. Our original contract was in dollars. We did our best to scrape up the dollars for most of the last year, until a couple months ago, when they agreed to let us pay in pesos at a rate not as low as the official but not as high as the blue dollar either.

I'm grateful, frankly. Our landlords are just regular people acting as landlords while their son is in England (we're renting the son's apt). Receiving pesos is as problematic for the son as obtaining dollars is for us, so I think it's a decent deal. I'll be leaving this place in very good shape for sure come August 1st.

Argento said:
Has anyone also heard of landlords who advertise in dollars, are willing to take pesos and take the official & unofficial exchange rates and average them?
For example in simple numbers: 4.5 + 6 = 10.5/2 = 5.25

You do know that it is now illegal to pay for rented accommodation in dollars. I know as I'm looking for a flat and there is only a fraction open to me as I have to pay in pesos. My husband's company has to be squeaky clean on this as its a new law. Landlords can advertise and charge you in dollars but it must be paid in pesos (so therefore linked to the dollar rate). Which don't think is that bad of a deal for landlords? You would not believe how many landlords don't want a 2 year contract with 6 monthly reviews inline with inflation. They would rather their property empty than be stuck with pesos. Madness!

Marche exile said:
They would rather their property empty than be stuck with pesos. Madness!

It isn't madness. Most cases, the "expensas" eat you alive. They're getting more and more expensive and lease profits can't hardly keep up covering those cost increments.
On the other side, evicting tennants is no easy feat.

Some people in selected areas choose not to rent to nationals because foreign currency is one way to try to minimize inflation's effect. The dollar was nailed to the floor for many years but it provided some sort of security. These new measures will just increase the black economy's expansion over the official one. The more things change, more they remain the same.

BTW, reviewed according to who's inflation index?

Iznogud said:
BTW, reviewed according to who's inflation index?

What ever the official rate is. Its just going to get harder and harder to avoid pesos. I must say if someone said to me. Ok, so you are now the president. How are you going to make your own country spend its own currency? Its a tough one and this is how shes doing it. Some of the dodgy exchanges near me have closed down officially and only open the door if they know you.

Marche exile said:
What ever the official rate is. Its just going to get harder and harder to avoid pesos. I must say if someone said to me. Ok, so you are now the president. How are you going to make your own country spend its own currency? Its a tough one and this is how shes doing it. Some of the dodgy exchanges near me have closed down officially and only open the door if they know you.

This may be one-sided here but the reason the dollars have dried up from the market is not because CFK is all of a sudden sleeping with the Peso. Its because the government has an increased demand for Dollars. Its true that they're trying to stem capital flight from the country. But the system they've applied makes it all the more apparent that the Peso is worthless so people will go through any length to protect their savings. And so people INEVITABLY make moves to get dollars, whether legally or illegally. What that will result in is an eventual devaluation of the peso because the demand for peso will keep on reducing.

Yeah its a tough world CFK is living in but she and her dear "EL" happily dug the hole she finds herself in.

Back