Renters Rights If Apartment Gets Sold

SunSeeker

Registered
I did a search however came up empty on this. The question I have is what rights does a renter have if the apartment he is renting gets sold before his rental contract with an agency is completed? Is there any kind of renters advocate in Buenos Aires? Any information would be appreciated! Thanks,,,,

Asociacion de Inquilinos

http://www.inquilinos.org.ar/

As a tenant you are entitled to the whole length of the contract. The owner cannot terminate the contract. If the property is sold the contract will be transferred to the new owner who has to respect it in full until the very last day.

As a tenant you are entitled to the whole length of the contract. The owner cannot terminate the contract. If the property is sold the contract will be transferred to the new owner who has to respect it in full until the very last day.
thanks for the info!

This is correct if you have a regular 2 year rental contract. If it is a temp contract, you are pretty much screwed..

This is correct if you have a regular 2 year rental contract. If it is a temp contract, you are pretty much screwed..

I am guessing that he is referring to a typical fully furnished apartment for tourists. Usually, such deals are done via email exchange or just on a peace of paper where both parties sign with no witness or escribano involved, and usually its done once in 6 months or once in a year.

Temporarios or temp contracts as per the new código civil y comercial (aug2015) cannot be longer then 3 months and, again, the tenant can walk out of the contract with a penalty (equal to 2 month rent) but the owner cannot terminate the contract before it's due date.

Back