Rentista visa question

jimdepalermo said:
The consulate folks were very helpful. Since the visa needs to be issued by a consulate abroad, and since all the documents you need for the application come from the US, it's MUCH easier to work with them than trying to deal with Migraciones once you're here.

The visa can be applied for and issued in Argentina, but it is probably easier to do it all at the consulate in NYC. Argentine consulates in other US cities (Atlanta e.g.) may not be as experienced or helpful. I applied for and received my visa in late 2006 and never left the country during the porocess.

jimdepalermo said:
When I was going through this in 2006, they offered an extra-charge service - but much less expensive than agents here charge - that included all the official translations and most of the services provided by visa agents here.

My friend from Uruguay (who has lived in Argentina for about 15 years) recently helped two members of the forum apply for their visas at migraciones in Argentina. It was easy and very economical. She charged $200USD and their DNI's arrived in the mail within 60 days.

Your partner can enter argentina as a tourist (check if thailand residents require visa or not,I have not heard of many countries whose residents are required a visa to join, but some do) and is able stay in the country for 90 days which can be renewed once for another 90, so a total of 180 before they have to do the "boat visa renewal"

My wife entered the country as a tourist (she is from britain) and she had been in the country for 1 year and half before we married. That has been 2 years ago and she still hasn't renewed her 'tourist visa' she even has an argentine DNI now!

So it's really no worry.

Worst case scenario would be that you'd have to show up at migraciones and get a visa extension, which can be done only once, for another period of 90 days, and after that time runs out, you can take the buquebus ship to colonia (uruguay) and come back to argentina to get stamped for another 90 (180) days.

Hope it was clear. If you have any questions regarding visas ask away or pm me, I believe me wife and I have gone thru every non-mercosur imigration paperwork.

I also know of some good public translators who don't charge insane prices for legalised documents, about 150 pesos per page, against the 600 that some folk normally charge.

As per the "boat visa renewal" method. This is perfectly safe and legit. Authorities at migraciones often extraofficially recommend this to tourists as a speedy way to regularise their visa status.
As Uruguay benefits from the little revenues of the brief tourism, they have no problems with imigrants going back and forth for a day to 'fix' their papers.

Back