Repaying An International Loan With Pesos From Argentina

Now days, everywhere in the civilised world, ones personal credit history withstanding, either makes you or breaks you. Once your credit history gets tarnished, it is impossible to when you return back to the UK's be able to get any credit approved. By defalting, you are labelled a credit criminal and will make your life miserable. Pay your student loan back at any cost...

Now days, everywhere in the civilised world, ones personal credit history withstanding, either makes you or breaks you. Once your credit history gets tarnished, it is impossible to when you return back to the UK's be able to get any credit approved. By defalting, you are labelled a credit criminal and will make your life miserable. Pay your student loan back at any cost...

Even if it's logistically impossible!

I had the same problem. The Student Loan Company only accepts payment by direct debit from a UK bank account. If you live abroad, you have to transfer money to the UK in order to pay. If you know anyone with an Argentine credit card who is prepared to help you, you can get money to your UK bank account via Paypal. Otherwise, it's technically impossible as far as I'm aware.

There's no point telling the SLC this, of course, because they don't have a button they can press that says "customer is in Argentina, don't bother them," so the only thing you can do to avoid the threat of fines is to tell them that you're simply not earning any money and therefore do not qualify to make repayments. After corresponding back and forth with them for weeks and getting nowhere, I just got my girlfriend to write them a letter saying that I had no income and that she was supporting me financially. They were happy with that.

This doesn't apply to UK student loans. You can't "default" as such because there is no repayment deadline and you only have to make repayments when you earn over a certain threshold - the government has recently recognised that many graduates will never pay off the loans before they retire. Nor is a student loan taken into consideration when it comes to your credit rating (I worked in a bank for a while and checked my own credit reference with Equifax and Experian - the student loan isn't on there) so not repaying your loan has no bearing on whether you'll be accepted for credit cards, loans, mortgages, etc.. Basically, there's no point stressing over how you're going to pay it back from Argentina - just get someone to write a letter saying that you're living off their incredible generosity.

Back