Requirements of registration and rental apartments in Argentina.

Gabrielg

Registered
Buenos dias, i am moving to Argentina(from a visa free country) next month and i am going to stay in there for 3 months(at least). i need to rent an apartment.
1. Do i need to be registered in police or somewhere else in order not to be deported from Argentina? or there is no such a law?
2. is it illegal to rent an apartment for 3 months without garantia? If it is illegal then how much does it cost buying a garantia(i apparently can't find in upcoming months somebody who would be as a garant)?
3. Am i required to show documents of my employment contract to the host?Or i can just land the money of rent, and sign a contract with my passport?
Thank you in advance.

Buenos dias, i am moving to Argentina(from a visa free country) next month and i am going to stay in there for 3 months(at least). i need to rent an apartment.
1. Do i need to be registered in police or somewhere else in order not to be deported from Argentina? or there is no such a law?
2. is it illegal to rent an apartment for 3 months without garantia? If it is illegal then how much does it cost buying a garantia(i apparently can't find in upcoming months somebody who would be as a garant)?
3. Am i required to show documents of my employment contract to the host?Or i can just land the money of rent, and sign a contract with my passport?
Thank you in advance.

Hi there,

1) No, you don´t need to enroll anywhere. No, there is no risk of being deported at all.

2) It is not illegal to rent an appartment for 3 months without the GARANTIA. The "GARANTIA" is usually used for longer period renting contracts. If you only plan to stay for 3 months, just book an AIR BNB. I can further explain about the GARANTIA, but -once again- it is not applicable to your case. The garantía is used for local renting contracts, typically, if you are planning to rent an appartment for 2 years, then you need to pay: 2 months of deposit (that will be returned to you at the end of the contract, deducting any amount for any damages to the property), and provide a "GARANTIA". Usually, an Argentine National asks a family member who owns property to offer such property as a warranty in case of 1) Failure to pay the monthly rent, therefore accumulating debt, or 2) damages to the property. This is hard to find even between Argentine Nationals. Family members are even reluctant to give this kind of warranty, and historically it has created lots of family fights!

Therefore, there are new ways to offer some collateral to honor the contract, 1 is to give MORE DEPOSIT MONEY, and 2, is to hire an INSURANCE for Tenants at the local banks. Meaning that the Bank will respond to any contract breach in exchange for an amount of money paid monthly.

3) It is good to show what do you to the landlord, i.e. if you work for a big company, your profession, etc, however, if you pay the money, you´ll get the apartment. Just start looking apartments that are set up for foreigners and short term. These apartments usually have all the furniture, and less scrutiny in exchange of a little bit more money. Hope you find this information useful! Take care!

Besides AirB&B, try ByTArgentina, 4RentArgentina and My Lovely Apartment for temporary furnished apartment rental companies. I just rented an apt for 3-6 months and put down 20% of the total rent to reserve it via credit card, then when I arrive I pay cash for one month deposit plus the first month's rent. It includes all utilities. You can usually renew for longer periods if the apartment is available and the owner approves. They didn't care where my money came from as long as I paid in US dollars cash.

There's also a Facebook group called Buenos Aires Real Estate that connects landlords and renters, most of the apartments/rooms offered do not require a garantia and could be paid in pesos. There are lots of cheaper options, mostly for students coming temporarily or people who want to rent just a bedroom in a shared house or something.

You don't need to register with the local police but you may want to consider registering with the embassy of your home country so that if there is an emergency there is a way to find you.

My experience with My Lovely Apartment was very negative. I do not recommend them at all.

My experience with My Lovely Apartment was very negative. I do not recommend them at all.

OK. Good to know. I haven't used them, just communicated a few times and yes I didn't get a great impression but who knows, everyone has different experiences. I have used ByT and 4Rent and each time have had excellent service so those I can recommend first hand.

Back