Residency

mjackson1946

Registered
I´ve been here for about a year off and on. Back to the US last July and returned in September. I´ve been back and forth to Uruguay to keep my tourist status several times, and the last time i went (last week), I was told that I may not be able to get back into argentina if i try to use Uruguay again as a way to leave and then reenter the country. Has anyone heard anything about a change in laws preventing movement i use? Also does anyone know of another way of keeping tourist status while here. My wife(argentine) and I are in the process of getting her a Returning Resident Visa as we overstayed our limits out of the US. I just need to find a way to stay current while all of that is worked out.
TIA for any help

mjackson1946 said:
I´ve been here for about a year off and on. Back to the US last July and returned in September. I´ve been back and forth to Uruguay to keep my tourist status several times, and the last time i went (last week), I was told that I may not be able to get back into argentina if i try to use Uruguay again as a way to leave and then reenter the country. Has anyone heard anything about a change in laws preventing movement i use? Also does anyone know of another way of keeping tourist status while here. My wife(argentine) and I are in the process of getting her a Returning Resident Visa as we overstayed our limits out of the US. I just need to find a way to stay current while all of that is worked out.
TIA for any help

If your wife is Argentine you can easily apply for permanent residency.

PS: Yes there has been a change in the laws regarding going to Uruguay, but you never had to do that after being married to an Argentine woman...or before for that matter.

Change in the law? I was planning on going to Uruguay in 2 weeks time to renew my Argentina visa. This would be my first time as I only arrived in March. Can I not do this now?

The law change took place ages ok, but they havent been very strict policing it..
A friend done the visa trip to urugary, and when she went to come back was told she couldnt enter argentina, which was a problem as she was living here, apt etc with eventhing still in argentina.. So she stayed there the night and tried again the next day without a problem..
I have heard of a couple of people who were let back into arg, but told they had 10 days to leave the country.. however i cant confirm it as this is second hand..

I think it all depends on the immigration staff you encounter, but they have been tighting up at immigration and changing laws over the last couple of years...

Would someone elaborate on this law regarding crossing into Uruguay? Does Argentina have something against Uruguay or would the same thing apply if you crossed into Chile, etc.? I had not heard of a law like that. May thank for the info.

To (semi-)hijack this thread: After a long while I've managed to get together all the requisiste documentation I need to apply for residency, based on family here. Is there anyone who's gone through the process recently who would know where to go, what to expect, something resembling a time frame?

I just had my appointment in Migraciones in Comodoro Rivadavia on the 13th of April. I had all my paperwork ready in December 2011, but the soonest appointment was in April.

I imagine it's faster in Bs. As., but I would recommend that you get your appointment as soon as possible.

The experience of the appointment was excrutiating. I arrived at Migraciones at 8:00 am. I waited until nearly 12:00 for an inicial interview. When the agent saw that I had all the necessary paperwork he gave me a "sello" to pay in the bank and the postage to pay in the post office. Since I was short on time to stand in line in both places, my husband paid in the post office and I paid in the bank. I finally left the bank at 2:30 pm (where I'd been standing in line since 12:45). I returned to the office and I was finally given my Residencia Precaria at 3:30 pm.

Beware of having the correct paperwork! I messed up and took my Certificado de Matrimonio instead of the Acta de Matrimonio (which I should have asked them to photocopy in the civil registry apparently and then get officialized by the Juez de Paz here). The immigration officer was nice and gave me couple of weeks to get it sent to him since he knew that I'd travelled 7 hours to get to my appointment, but he could have very easily told me to get a new appoinment and return in agust.

Take a book. Be ready to wait. Expect to be there all day and have everything they will ask for and extra copies of everything as well.

Good luck.

dnussw said:
Beware of having the correct paperwork! I messed up and took my Certificado de Matrimonio instead of the Acta de Matrimonio (which I should have asked them to photocopy in the civil registry apparently and then get officialized by the Juez de Paz here). The immigration officer was nice and gave me couple of weeks to get it sent to him since he knew that I'd travelled 7 hours to get to my appointment, but he could have very easily told me to get a new appoinment and return in agust.

WOW! I certainly would not have known the difference!..and it's good to know the immigration officer was nice.

Having spouse you can apply for permanent residency or citizenship, whatever you want.

Search:
Argentine citizenship for foreigners

Regards

Reactions: ben
Bajo_cero2 said:
Having spouse you can apply for permanent residency or citizenship, whatever you want.

Search:
Argentine citizenship for foreigners

Regards

That may be true, but residency is an administrative procedure that I can pursue at Migraciones directly (albeit with standard Argentine bureaucratic aggravations), whereas to pursue citizenship directly - with no residency, ergo no DNI - one would certainly need qualified legal representation. Am I mistaken?

Back