Residency

ben said:
That may be true, but residency is an administrative procedure that I can pursue at Migraciones directly (albeit with standard Argentine bureaucratic aggravations), whereas to pursue citizenship directly - with no residency, ergo no DNI - one would certainly need qualified legal representation. Am I mistaken?

Legally, you do not need a lawyer to apply for citizenship, but it might be very helpful to seek legal advice as some judges may not be "up to date" and are applying obsolete laws. You wrote that you are applying for residency "based on family here" but it would be easier to answer your question if you could be more specific. If you are married to an Argentine or are the offspring or parent of an Argentine the path to citizenship is wide open. Even if none of the above apply, you can apply for citizenship if you have been in Argentina for at least a year and can show an "honest" means of living.

Reactions: ben
steveinbsas said:
Legally, you do not need a lawyer to apply for citizenship, but it might be very helpful to seek legal advice as some judges may not be "up to date" and are applying obsolete laws. You wrote that you are applying for residency "based on family here" but it would be easier to answer your question if you could be more specific. If you are married to an Argentine or are the offspring or parent of an Argentine the path to citizenship is wide open. Even if none of the above apply, you can apply for citizenship if you have been in Argentina for at least a year and can show an "honest" means of living.

You are right; I did not specify what "family" means. As far as Argentine spouse, child/parent, time spent here and honest way of living is concerned (without quotes), I qualify on all fronts. I am simply wary of taking that route because without a DNI I doubt anyone would speak to me, and appropriate legal representation I am guessing would be an order of magnitude more expensive than the Migraciones route.

As well, has anyone (actually) come across policies along the lines of what's being reported in Uruguay, in Ezeiza? This might making pursuing a DNI that much more urgent.

There is no reason for panic.
However, there are clear signs of a nationalist policy.
Apllying for residency gives you precaria immediatelly. Applying for citizenship abduces you from the immigration law. It is not enforzable to you.
I have chinese clients who were stopped by gendarmeria and they let them go instead of arrest them. (yes, they do it with chinese mainly even it is against the law). They just showed tha xerox of the first page of the claim with the stamp of the federal judge.
There is another girl who is a penny keeper and she argued at Ezeiza and showing that paper i mentioned she was allowed to leave without paying the fine.

So, the main difference in short terms is that with precaria you can work legally, have a bank account, etc.

When i mentioned the signs you should take in consideration i mean the taxes for selling real state when you are a foreigner and the new restriction regarding buying land. The new deportation decree 616 2010 too.

Regards

Back