Resident driving a non-argentinian car?

Kula

Registered
Hi guys,

can a resident receive a temporary import permit of 6 months for a foreign car? For ex, resident will drive under poder a car, who`s owner is a tourist. Or is there anyway to drive a foreign plated car here?

Also what car a resident should basically drive? AFIP told as a resident I`m not allowed to drive an argentinian car outside the country ( to Chile for ex). At the same time I`m not allowed to enter the Argetina with a foreign plated car (no matter who the owner is). I`ve asked which car then I should drive if I want to cross border from Argentina to Chile and back and they told me to take a bus!

can a resident receive a temporary import permit of 6 months for a foreign car?

A foreigner who is granted permanent residency and returning Argentine citizens who have been outside the country for at least one year (if not two) have a six month window to import a foreign car. It may be exempt from customs fees if the value of the car, including the cost of shipping, if the value of the car according to the ADUANA (aka AFIP) is less than $15K USD.

They have to wait at least one year before they sell the car. I don't know what would happen if they try to cross the border(to take the car out of the country) before then.

For ex, resident will drive under poder a car, who`s owner is a tourist. Or is there anyway to drive a foreign plated car here?

Perhaps the owner of a car from a Mercorsur country would be able to drive their own car in Argentina, but that doesn't mean an Argentine resident (who is by definition a foreigner) would be legally able to drive it.

AFIP told as a resident I`m not allowed to drive an argentinian car outside the country ( to Chile for ex). At the same time I`m not allowed to enter the Argetina with a foreign plated car (no matter who the owner is). I`ve asked which car then I should drive if I want to cross border from Argentina to Chile and back and they told me to take a bus!

You didn't indicate whether your residency is temporary or permanent. What AFIP told you was probably based on your current category.

It might be possible for a permanent resident of Argentina to drive their own car across the border to Chile and return, but I am not certain about that.

At the least, it's clear that anyone with temporary residency would not be allowed to do so, even if they were the owner of the vehicle.

PS: Even if you actually know a "tourist" in Argentina who is the owner of a car that is "plated" in Argentina, I think you would have to be licensed to drive in Argentina. to get a carte azul which would give you the poder to drive it. Even then, it doesn't look like you would be able to drive it across the border.

Last edited:
A foreigner who is granted permanent residency and returning Argentine citizens who have been outside the country for at least one year (if not two) have a six month window to import a foreign car. It may be exempt from customs fees if the value of the car, including the cost of shipping, if the value of the car according to the ADUANA (aka AFIP) is less than $15K USD.

They have to wait at least one year before they sell the car. I don't know what would happen if they try to cross the border(to take the car out of the country) before then.
A permanent resident has 6 months to nationalize the car. And after that 2 year he can`t sell nor give a permission to drive it to somebody else excep for the spouse. Also it is not possible to drive it out of the country for 1 year.

What AFIP told you was probably based on your current category.

I have DNI permanent en tramite and have no actual DNI, only precaria.
AFIP I spoke with does not have idea bout residence categories, they have tourist or residents. From their point of view if you are tourist you can drive with a foreign car, if you are resident -take a bus! or take a chance to nationilize your car. To me it sounds extremely limited.I want to beleive there is a way and they just do not know maybe?

A permanent resident has 6 months to nationalize the car. And after that 2 year he can`t sell nor give a permission to drive it to somebody else excep for the spouse. Also it is not possible to drive it out of the country for 1 year.

I have DNI permanent en tramite and have no actual DNI, only precaria.
AFIP I spoke with does not have idea bout residence categories, they have tourist or residents. From their point of view if you are tourist you can drive with a foreign car, if you are resident -take a bus! or take a chance to nationilize your car. To me it sounds extremely limited.I want to beleive there is a way and they just do not know maybe?

Yes, it is extremely limited as well as hard to believe, especially for anyone new to Argentina. I've been here for thirteen years and never knew about the 2 year restriction on giving permission for someone else (except the spouse) to drive a nationalized car.

PS: Even though customs will not permit a resident to drive a tourist's car across the border do you happen know how a tourist can legally give a resident the "poder" to drive their car in Argentina (as asked in your first post).

Perhaps you could (with a carte azul) drive another resident's car across the border to Chile?

Last edited:
PS: Even though customs will not permit a resident to drive a tourist's car across the border do you happen know how a tourist can legally give a resident the "poder" to drive their car in Argentina (as asked in your first post).

if the car is tourist`s you just sign your origin country form or any form really in front of the notary (any as well), his role is to certify that person signing it is who he is and his signature is genuine. carte azul is for argentinian cars this is diffrent thing.

Touché, precaria is a semi serf legal situation.
true...
but what if when I go out I show my precaria, so it is not an overstay problem. And when I go in I show nothing and enter like a tourist with all th rights of a tourist?
What is funny I visited on the same day ANSES and AFIP. AFIP said I am resident. ANSES said I`m not at all. Migraciones said it gives all the rights "like a resindent"

but what if when I go out I show my precaria, so it is not an overstay problem. And when I go in I show nothing and enter like a tourist with all th rights of a tourist?

If you go out with your precaria you will not be able to enter again as a "tourist" for two years.

You are now in the migraciones system as a resident and they would know this when you tried to reenter...just like they know when someone with a 90 day prorroga makes a visa run before the prorroga expires. They do not give the tourist a new 90 day visa when they reenter.

What is funny I visited on the same day ANSES and AFIP. AFIP said I am resident. ANSES said I`m not at all. Migraciones said it gives all the rights "like a resindent"

It doesn't matter what ANSES or AFIP says as far as leaving or reentering the country is concerned...only migraciones

Last edited:
Hi guys,

can a resident receive a temporary import permit of 6 months for a foreign car? For ex, resident will drive under poder a car, who`s owner is a tourist. Or is there anyway to drive a foreign plated car here?

Also what car a resident should basically drive? AFIP told as a resident I`m not allowed to drive an argentinian car outside the country ( to Chile for ex). At the same time I`m not allowed to enter the Argetina with a foreign plated car (no matter who the owner is). I`ve asked which car then I should drive if I want to cross border from Argentina to Chile and back and they told me to take a bus!

Only Argentines returning from residing abroad have the right to" import" a used car, or when obtaining permanent residence you may bring personal effects and a preowned car.. Imported means that it doesn't enter driven at the border by owner.It arrives by Ocean or Air Freight.
You can drive in a foreign car as a tourist for six months from a Mercosur country .

I Drove in and out of Argentina a Chilean plated car, every six months, for 5 years. Always the same Customs agent at the Border Argentina Chile. After the last entry the customs agent said i will let you through for the last time . The Mercosur agreement on vehicles is for tourists that come visit for a couple of weeks . YOU are misusing the privilege. Next time I will impound the Vehicle and you will have to get Argentinian Plates $$$..!!!

I Drove in and out of Argentina a Chilean plated car, every six months, for 5 years. Always the same Customs agent at the Border Argentina Chile. After the last entry the customs agent said i will let you through for the last time . The Mercosur agreement on vehicles is for tourists that come visit for a couple of weeks . YOU are misusing the privilege. Next time I will impound the Vehicle and you will have to get Argentinian Plates $$$..!!!
You was resident or permatourist? Do they allow it to residents in fact? Which pass it was?

Back