Resignation demanded of Sabrina the Teenage Witch

Oh, come on now! Can't you imagine living on those desolate islands, looking at exciting Buenos Aires with legions of hot girls and warm, sunny weather, not to mention great asado, and thinking to yourself, "DAMN, I wish we could get some of that action! Leave behind these boring old pounds sterling, and use that thrillingly dynamic* peso Argentino...ahh, life would be so much better! And that Cristina Kirchner lady is sure a lot more appealing than stodgy old Bojo the Clown..."

*(i.e. insanely volatile)
They actually have that option now if they wish. I understand that upon arrival in Argentina anyone who was born in the Falklands/ Malvinas will be considered Argentine and eligible for citizenship. I think exactly one person (?) in history has actually chosen to do so.... he ended up summarising "argentina cast a shadow over my soul" and cutting up his DNI before fleeing back to the islands... Argentina sure knows how to sell itself to them!

Also came across this interesting article that claims half of all people living on the islands are actually immigrants from all over the place and they are continuing to come, lured by its stable economy and high wages... and ... sub-antarctic winds?

They actually have that option now if they wish. I understand that upon arrival in Argentina anyone who was born in the Falklands/ Malvinas will be considered Argentine and eligible for citizenship. I think exactly one person (?) in history has actually chosen to do so.... he ended up summarising "argentina cast a shadow over my soul" and cutting up his DNI before fleeing back to the islands... Argentina sure knows how to sell itself to them!

Also came across this interesting article that claims half of all people living on the islands are actually immigrants from all over the place and they are continuing to come, lured by its stable economy and high wages... and ... sub-antarctic winds?
Most of the immigrants are from Saint Helena.

Most of the immigrants are from Saint Helena.
Moving from the bright lights of Jamestown to quieter pastures in Stanley no doubt.

Interestingly and according to their government:
Our growing community of 2563 people is diverse; with people from over 60 nations living in the Islands we are a truly cosmopolitan society. The heart of our community lies in the families who can trace their heritage back through 9 generations in the Islands, who have subsequently been joined over the course of nearly 200 years by those who have chosen to make the Falkland Islands their home. Predominantly of British descent, the Islands population also includes large Chilean and St Helenian communities.

I think the fact that she said she wanted to run over a group of high school students was much worse

It is exactly this for most BOTs like Cayman (vis-a-vis Jamaican independence and todays tiny but growing independence movement), Bermuda (referendum of 1995), Anguilla (vis-a-vis referendum to leaving St Kitts and become a BOT), Falklands (2009 referendum with 99.8% in favor or remaining as a BOT) Gibraltar (referendums of 1967 and 2002) etc. If the inhabitants decide to be independent or join with another entity or even share sovereignty with another entity, they can and will.

But who is going to voluntarily sign up to be part of Argentina if today they enjoy the 5th highest GDP PPP (per capita) in the world, 1% unemployment, pounds, a high HDI rating, low corruption, stable government, and inflation of 1.4%? In fact are some fringes in Mendoza not currently talking about leaving Argentina because they are so disillusioned by it? If Argentina ever gets its own house in order, maybe it can finally make the kelpers an interesting proposal worth listening to rather than depending on violence or glorification of violence to get what it wants.

In some hypothetical scenario where the Falklands became Argentine, everything regarding life on the islands themselves would be practically identical to how it is now

Unfortunately starting a war was the absolutely worst possible thing they could have done.
It turns the Falkland Islands debate also into something irrational and sentimental in the British consciousness. British blood was spilt to defend them so it is going to be politically impossible for the foreseeable future that any government will negotiate with Argentina over their sovereignty.
Had the war of 1982 never happened I could imagine that things would be very different.
The Falklands are free to vote to stay a British territory, go alone, join Argentina whatever. The situation would be no different.

The Falklands are free to vote to stay a British territory, go alone, join Argentina whatever. The situation would be no different.

There is something weird going on in the South Atlantic. The US Navy recently (back a year or so) reactivated their South Atlantic fleet, that hadn't existed since the end of the cold war 30 years ago. More oddly still, they did it by moving their North Atlantic fleet to the South, and then rebuilding the Northern fleet, which would seem to indicate some urgency.

What exactly is the USN going to fight in the South Atlantic? There's nothing down here but the east coast of South America, the west coast of Africa, dolphins, penguins, and killer whales. The only conceivable thing that might be of importance is the shopping route around the southern cape of Africa, for those ships too large to go through the Suez Canal. And just who or what would threaten that?

Add to that the oddities surrounding the loss of the ARA San Juan, and some peculiarities in the UK's search for petroleum resources around the Malvinas, and you have a body of circumstantial evidence which is less than overwhelming, but still somewhat curious. Evidence which would seem to suggest that perhaps there is something strange happening. Far be it from me to suggest that recent US gov't revelations on the subject of UFO's might be also involved, but...

what are the peculiarities about petroleum exploration?
ARA San Juan is fairly cut and dry what happened.

Back