Riding a bicycle in Buenos Aires

The city government recently passed a law that all parking garages and lots must accept bicycles for %10 of the cost of a car. So if they charge 8 pesos per hour for a car they are supposed to accept your bike for $0.80 per hour. Of course, many lots don't comply and will flat out refuse or will tell you they have no space available. But, if you find a place that will accept your bike it is cheap and much safer than leaving it on the street.

I think one's attitude to biking in BA depends on where you come from and your experiences. I was used to riding in NYC, so biking here is no big deal.
Yes, occasionally the buses or taxis get a bit rude but for the most part, I've found the drivers to be respectful. Not exactly gracious - they won't give you right of way the way they do in Europe or California, but they generally have the attitude that we're both there to share the road. You just have to be assertive, claim your space - and they'll honor that.
There's a lot less honking here and crazy drivers than in other Latin American countries.

I have a thick cable-type lock ($60) plus a smaller one ($20) that I use to lock the seat to the frame, and I've locked the bike all over town in every neighborhood for hours at a time and never had any problems. Never overnight, though - that would be inviting trouble.

I like what MizzMarr said about life before and after getting the bike - it made all the difference to my quality of life here. I can get across town in half the time it used to take me on the buses or subway (or even taxis - at rush hour, I fly past all the traffic). Plus it lifts my spirits and gets the endorphins flowing.

If you want to ride with a group, Critical Mass ("Masa Critica") meets at the obelisk the first Sunday of every month at 4pm for a huge group ride.

I brought my folding bike in a suitcase from the US. I got it in the US for $350 and of course they cost much more here. It is awesome for the small elevators and it can easily fit on your balcony or in your closet. They sell an Argentine version in many bike shops - ask to see the "bici plegable".

As for riding, I would definitely recommend a helmet. I bought a decent one at canaglia in recoletta ($120 pesos). Also, a bell can come in handy as porteñas don´t seem to know that a bike lane is for bicycles. I am sometimes tempted to tape an air horn on my bike... :rolleyes:

I carry a small/normal size cable lock - but only for emergencies or when I´m at a restaurant where I can see the bike. The bike is small enough when folded to fit in a shopping cart so I usually just fold it up and take it inside for any serious time away!

Like MizzMar said, having a bicycle in Buenos Aires has changed my life!

Canaglia is the largest retailer in the city. There's an outlet on Suipacha near Viamonte. Also one in Palermo chico.
I share the enthuisiasm of those who enjoy biking hereand even thoughthe cyclovias may not be top of the line in construction I applaud the local government for facilitating urban cycling.
Once you learn that the taxis and buses will seldom yield to you the right of way (in fact they will often take it from you) you can pretty well avoid getting hit. Best to stay to the left on wide avenues for just that reason. What you really must watch out for are the motorcyclists who agressively weave in and out of traffic. Just when you thought it was safe to go around that stopped car to get to the front of the stopped traffic at a red light - zoom comes a cyclist weaving into that same space with a lot more force than you.

Back