Riding Boots

betts

Registered
Thanks to all who answered on the Winter clothes topic it helped a lot as I start getting ready to pack. So my next question is - I enjoy horseback riding and have heard there are wonderful places to ride. Should I bring my western style cowboy boots or english style riding boots? Anyone know of good places for trail riding? I ride more western style.

I don't think I've ever seen a Western saddle in Argentina, though surely they are here. English saddles, gaucho saddles . . . .

You can wear whatever boot you like. I think that most of us use ordinary top boots -- "English" boots -- for hacking; some people wear polo boots for everything, and some folks ride with paddock boots.

There are many places in the provinces where you may hire a horse. I don't know of any close to the city of Buenos Aires, however.

Yes you should bring boots, it does not matter which style! English riding is posible!

Don't bring boots - get them custom made here! Much less expensive than anywhere else in the world and they have some great designs. I ride but not sure where you can go for a more casual experience - probably any of the estancias that cater to tourists. If you decide to take lessons, there are 3 clubs in Capital that are very good.

citygirl said:
Don't bring boots - get them custom made here! Much less expensive than anywhere else in the world and they have some great designs. I ride but not sure where you can go for a more casual experience - probably any of the estancias that cater to tourists. If you decide to take lessons, there are 3 clubs in Capital that are very good.

We are moving next month, and I decided not to bring our boots but get them custom made -can you recommend me a place where I can go?

Can you also recommend me a club where they ride English style, for my teenage daughter?

thnx

Three places for boots - Waltons (in Belgano), Casa de las Botas (in Palermo) and I know someone here, Felipe Magnasco (Grand Prix rider) who also makes them. Waltons makes the more traditional styles, Casa de las Botas will allow you to pick and choose styles and Felipe does traditional as well as some very funky varieties (patent leather for example). Send me a message when you are here & I'll pass along the numbers.

As far as riding - you have 4 options in the city. You can ride at GEBA which is the smallest of the clubs and is public. They offer lessons but there is no membership fee. At Clubs Aleman, Buenos Aires or Hipico Argentino, you can take a month of lessons I believe but then have to join the club (200 pesos a month social membershp fee) on top of lesson costs. All are located in downtown (GEBA, Buenos Aires & Aleman) are on Dorrego btwn Alcorta and Lugones. Hipcio Argentina is on Alcorta, next to River Plate stadium. CHA (hipico) is the nicest but most expensive of the clubs, Aleman has the best footing and I haven't ridden at Buenos Aires (although footing for shows can be bad) so can't comment on being a member there.

Aleman and CHA also have pool, restaurant, gym, etc.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

thanks a lot!
I will keep this in mind and contact you when I am there!

Back