riding school / equitación

katti

Registered
I am looking for a riding school (English way) for my daughter (teenager). She wants to take classes after school, so it has to be in the center.

Any suggestions?

thanks Katti

There are 4 riding clubs in Buenos Aires - Club Hipico (on Alcorta, next to River stadium), Club Aleman and Buenos Aires and GEBA (which I think is affiliated with Aleman now). Those 3 are on Dorrego, right by Lugones (behind the racetrack). All of them have a riding school.

I believe after a short amount of time (might be 4 lessons?), you have to become a member of the club and pay the monthly membership fee.

Hipico is the most expensive and has the nicest amenties (restaurant, pool, gym, etc). Very prestigious and they have a good riding school although the director just retired so I'm not sure who is taking over. Most of the top horse shows are held at Hipico. Aleman has the best footing and a good program with lots of students. They also have a program and do lots of schooling shows and its slightly less expensive. Buenos Aires is okay although it's my least favorite of them. GEBA used to be the most low-key and was the cheapest (no real ring there, very limited facilities) but as I mentioned, I think it's now affiliated with Aleman so you have to pay the Aleman membership fee but you can use their facilities and rings.

Just an FYI, if your daughter is interested in showing, all shows are canceled because of the outbreak of EVA. I don't think shows will be back on until August. They probably will have schooling (internal) shows.

citygirl said:
There are 4 riding clubs in Buenos Aires - Club Hipico (on Alcorta, next to River stadium), Club Aleman and Buenos Aires and GEBA (which I think is affiliated with Aleman now). Those 3 are on Dorrego, right by Lugones (behind the racetrack). All of them have a riding school.

I believe after a short amount of time (might be 4 lessons?), you have to become a member of the club and pay the monthly membership fee.

Hipico is the most expensive and has the nicest amenties (restaurant, pool, gym, etc). Very prestigious and they have a good riding school although the director just retired so I'm not sure who is taking over. Most of the top horse shows are held at Hipico. Aleman has the best footing and a good program with lots of students. They also have a program and do lots of schooling shows and its slightly less expensive. Buenos Aires is okay although it's my least favorite of them. GEBA used to be the most low-key and was the cheapest (no real ring there, very limited facilities) but as I mentioned, I think it's now affiliated with Aleman so you have to pay the Aleman membership fee but you can use their facilities and rings.

Just an FYI, if your daughter is interested in showing, all shows are canceled because of the outbreak of EVA. I don't think shows will be back on until August. They probably will have schooling (internal) shows.

thanks, that's a very helpful answer, I will check them out this week!

In case someone else is interested too, I write here what I found out :

1. most expensive club is Club Hipico Argentino, you need to be a "socio", in my daughters case (she is -18) she would first have to find a "padrino", a friend of a friend of ... who is socio. Then she can become socio too, paying 364$ (once), and per month 127$ plus the lessons 400$ per month.
If she does not know anyone who is socio, then I would have to become socio too (364$ once, 327$ per month plus lessons, if i would like to ride). But I would have to be presented by a socio. So same problem.

2.Club Aleman : Here you pay 125$ per month, plus lessons 100$ each with a minimum of 4 per month.

3. Buenos Aires : each month 140 $, plus 390$ per month for 4 lessons.

In my opinion, n° 1 is the nicest, then 2, then 3. These prices are for nivel intermedio and for a 14 year old. The higher the level the more expensive, and adults pay a bit more then teenagers.

just an FYI, it's pretty easy to find someone to sponsor you at the clubs. Best bet (if you decide to go with Hipico), is have her take a few lessons and then ask someone. People are usually more than willing to do it. Or let me know, I know lots of socios there.

Also, quite frequently, if you join in the winter, they will waive the initiation fee.

As I mentioned in my first post, I think best value for your money is Aleman.

I prefer Aleman, but the last lesson starts at 18h and she can't make it before 18,30.

Hipico is quite far from my house, and with traffic at rush hour I will need more then 30 min to get there.

I WE we usually go out of town, I will check the posibilities there, or during holidays in Aleman (which is the only club where that is posible to go for example every day for a week).

I don't like the Buenos Aires.

There are tons of riding options outside of the city - if you have a normal weekend destination, I can ask around to see what is available (it may not be a formal club but a lot of the riders have quintas outside of the city) and will provide lessons. Although weekends may be a problem as usually people are showing on the weekends here (well, when the shows start again).

Does she need an english-speaking instructor?

Sorry to hear the timings won't work out but yes, if she can't ride before 6:30, it will be a problem in all the clubs. Actually in general, it will be a problem - usually barns are wrapping up the day at that hour. No way she can get there earlier one day a week?

Back